Locking threads after a year

Discussion in 'Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Kathy Golla, May 26, 2019.

1. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    ETA:
    Hello BYC site moderators.
    Could I ask if locking threads to replies after a certain timeframe has ever been considered? Like maybe a year?
    There are a ton of people who reply to archival threads ,and it displays as if it were a new post.
    On the emergency forum there are four just tonight. One post is from 2006.
    It really clogs up the forums, and seems unnecessary and ineffective.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  2. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Might help to tag a few Moderators on this I do not recall think the OP or a mod have to close them @sumi @Nifty-Chicken

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  3. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    penny1960 likes this.
  4. The Moonshiner

The Moonshiner Professional Chicken Tender

Nov 17, 2016
    Missouri
    Why would you see it that way?
    There's times someone resurrects a thread that I enjoy or feel is useful that I wouldn't of found otherwise.
    Other times I've seen threads that are resurrected and then become active again with new information or updated information.
    If someone is looking for something and finds an archived thread why not bring it back from the dead and continue it instead of starting a new thread? More info with adding to an old thread then starting a new one.
    Also see starting new threads about the same subject that already has been discussed would add more to clogging the system then piggybacking on one already here.
    IDK, I don't like the idea.

5. MagpieDucks

MagpieDucks Duck Addict

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    What about the threads that continue to be active for longer than a year after the original starting date?

6. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Songster

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Gosh, sorry I should have been more clear in my post.
    This question was directed specifically to the site moderators to see if it has ever been considered.

FluffTheDuck likes this.
  7. TheRusticRebel

TheRusticRebel Chirping

Apr 24, 2019
    South Carolina, USA
    I agree with pp. Ive used the search for different subjects and found old threads and dont see why i shouldnt be able to comment and see if the OP or any other poster on the thread has any more info. I'm a big fan of updates.

8. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    X2. I think you should look up your question on the search bar and see if anything matches and if nothing does post a thread!

TheRusticRebel and starri33 like this.
  9. starri33

starri33 Crowing

Feb 28, 2016
    Golden Valley AZ
    I personally love the search feature, use it all the time, I know some of the threads I've found have been a year or more back, it helps me as a newish chicken momma find things that I need to know.

10. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator

Thanks for the discussion! This is actually something that's been brought up and suggested many times over the years, and something we've disgust internally with our staff.

We absolutely see the reasons why this could be helpful, but we also acknowledge that the pros of leaving old threads open and available to new activity, tend to outweigh the cons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: