Locks of Love

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by DuckLady, Dec 2, 2008.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Today I donated another 12 inches to Locks of Love.
    This brings my total to 39 inches in the last 4 years or so. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you can, please donate!
    www.locksoflove.org

Have you donated? Lets see!

This is from 2 years ago

[​IMG]

I don't have a pic of the first 15 inches I donated in spring 2005.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

OH Congrats!!!! You are lucky your hair grows so fast and long that you can do that! Wonderful!!!!

3. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

I gave up 3 feet last spring, but not really sure that it made it there.....right after the deed was done the made the mistake of pointing out to me that the person beside me was getting the opposite done.....extensions.......can you tell I hate short hair? [​IMG]

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    My hair is about mid-back right now... I'm growing it as far as it'll go and then cutting it for Locks of Love. [​IMG]

5. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Your hair must grow as fast as your duckies do, Terrie! I can't ever seem to get mine past shoulder length. My husband, however, who wears his hair long did it a couple years ago. Donated 12 or 13 inches. It was pretty cool.

6. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It is wonderful that you are generously donating your hair to try to help people who have lost their hair due to medical causes such as cancer, and I certainly don't want to tell anyone what to do, but I thought I'd post some info on Locks of Love that you might not have seen and give some info on an alternate organization that also accepts hair donations.

Locks of Love has been criticized both for charging fees to the families of children with cancer and for selling some of the donor hair to be used to make wigs that are sold to the general public.

You can find more info on these things through a quick Google search. Here are a couple of links I found:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locks_of_Love

http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove

http://verybigblog.com/2006/04/24/locks-of-love-is-a-scam/

I don't want to say that I agree with everything in these sources, but there is certainly some questions about their practices, and I know that when families needing wigs for their children with cancer or people wanting to donate hair call the American Cancer Society we do not give out info on Locks of Love, we don't even have them in our database of resources. [​IMG]

Instead, we refer them to the non-profit organization called Wigs for Kids which accepts donated hair and turns it into hairpieces which are provided to families free of charge.

If you are interested in finding out more about this organization or in donating your hair, their website is www.wigsforkids.org

Of course, the disclaimer here is that this is merely my own 2 cents and not an official statement on behalf of my employer. Also, if you prefer to continue donating hair to Locks of Love, that's fine too...not wanting to sound judgmental or bossy, just wanted to pass the info along. [​IMG]

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Pantene has a program called Beautiful Lengths.....

8. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Quote:Yep, we also refer people to that one if they want the hair to go to adult wigs instead of for kids. People sometimes want to do that if they have an adult family member with cancer so they will ask if their is an organization that helps adults get free wigs.

The pantene website is:

http://www.beautifullengths.com

9. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

My daughter did! She donated 16 inches in May of this year. She is 7 now (was 6 at the time) and she said she can not wait to grow her hair long again so she send some more hair! I am so proud of her! She wanted to do this all on her own. One day we were talking about cancer and the affects it has on many people. Then I told her about the children who lose their hair during chemo. She was so moved that she asked if she could give some of her hair to the children!!! I am so so so proud of her! Here are some before and after pics.
    Before
    [​IMG]
    After
    [​IMG]
    Styled!
    [​IMG]

10. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Two years ago in January my daughter cut mine and I donated it. It's about long enough I'm thinking of letting her cut it again.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by