Locks of Love

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by DuckLady, Jun 5, 2010.

1. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Tomorrow will be 8 years since I lost my mom to cancer.

When she started chemo and her hair started falling out, my intent was to get her a Sacramento Kings cap (she was a huge fan) and make a ponytail to attach tot he cap with my own hair.

Sadly, she died shortly after our conversation, before we were able to get her that ponytail made.

Now as my hair grows out, I sent a ponytail's worth to locks of love.

Today's ponytail will make 52 total inches of ponytail I nave donated.

[​IMG]

2. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    What a wonderful thing to do.

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] Thats a great way to give back. Im sorry for your loss too how sad [​IMG]

4. cerridwenn

cerridwenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    i donate too! no idea what my total is. it takes me several years to grow it long enough to donate so i can't do it as often as some people. but i'm always glad to do it, even though the first time i cried... i hadn't had my hair cut in about 15 years that time it was all the way down my back and my mom chopped it at my neck. it was a weird feeling!

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

That is one the most worthy organizations to donate to, whether it is hair, time or money. My friend Joyce recently shaved her hair patches off and the wig she wears gives her a feeling of being normal, even though she knows she is not. [​IMG]

6. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

My mom's done that a couple times... my hair has never grown long enough for the minimum donation.

There have been kids at the school who've done that too, which is really cool.

Should DD decide to lop off her waist length hair I'll definitely be sending it in.

It's a wonderful group of people.

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    6 feet. My hair grow really fast, and we go from hip to shoulders every 18 months (18 inches each time). I measure and cut off a braid, then go in and have it shaped out.

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    What a great thing to do for people, Terrie! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    [​IMG] I think it is great for folks like you to donate hair to Locks of Love! Kudos to you and others who donated!

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

My Mom has donated several times. I plan on donating this fall. I have been taking biotin and L-lysine supplements and it is nearly to my waist now.

What is the minimum length needed to donate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by