Loft flooring question + possibly sick bird

knowvagale

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
Austin, Texas
Hi ya'll, I'm very new to keeping pigeons, my first pair of long-awaited birds arrived just yesterday. I'm a little concerned about one of them, he's been sneezing a little and yawning, and I know from some quick googling that these could be symptoms of a respiratory infection, so I'm wondering if ya'll would just watch it to see if it progresses or if I should take him to the vet to get looked at.
My other question was about metal grates on the floor of lofts. My loft is a little aviary type set up that's actually a bit too small to house pigeons, I'm working on expanding it but it'll take me a couple days. It has a wooden floor, and I've noticed the birds getting their feet quite messy walking around and pooping on it. I'm thinking about building a grate and installing it a few inches above the floor, but I've heard conflicting things regarding grate flooring for pigeons. Wondering if the wood floor is a problem/what material I should use for a grate should I decide to make one. Thanks!

Hi ya'll, I'm very new to keeping pigeons
welcome to the sport, hobby, and life!
my first pair of long-awaited birds arrived just yesterday.
congrants! what breed?
so I'm wondering if ya'll would just watch it to see if it progresses or if I should take him to the vet to get looked at
I have never taken a bird to the vet, but I have lost some to sickness. Personally, I don't take pigeons to a vet as I can't afford the fee. Most vets from what ive heard don't even deal with pigeons, and if they do, there gonna Google The symptoms just like you would!
It has a wooden floor, and I've noticed the birds getting their feet quite messy walking around and pooping on it.
I have wood floors, but add about four inches of straw. It works great!

congrants! what breed?
One van loon and one milky powder blue.
I have never taken a bird to the vet, but I have lost some to sickness. Personally, I don't take pigeons to a vet as I can't afford the fee. Most vets from what ive heard don't even deal with pigeons, and if they do, there gonna Google The symptoms just like you would!
They're mostly for mostly pet purposes, and they were quite pricey and hard to get ahold of, so I'd be willing to take them to the vet if it were a matter of life or death. I'll probably just keep and eye on him for now though.Thanks for the advice! I'll try out straw on the floors.

One van loon and one milky powder blue.

They're mostly for mostly pet purposes, and they were quite pricey and hard to get ahold of, so I'd be willing to take them to the vet if it were a matter of life or death. I'll probably just keep and eye on him for now though.Thanks for the advice! I'll try out straw on the floors.
I would call Foy's or Chas Siegel. I would trust their diagnosis more than a vet. They can also ship you what you need.

So far the birds seem to be doing well. I tried out straw on the floor and it's kept their feet pretty clean. I do have one more question about how much you guys typically feed every day. I've seen a lot of different advice around about how many times a day/how much per bird and I was wondering what ya'll's advice on this is. As of now I'm feeding about a tablespoon per bird twice a day, the birds usually start eating it right away but sometimes leave a little in the dish.

So far the birds seem to be doing well. I tried out straw on the floor and it's kept their feet pretty clean. I do have one more question about how much you guys typically feed every day. I've seen a lot of different advice around about how many times a day/how much per bird and I was wondering what ya'll's advice on this is. As of now I'm feeding about a tablespoon per bird twice a day, the birds usually start eating it right away but sometimes leave a little in the dish.
Great job! We do need photos. :)

I feed all they can eat in eight minutes. Only once a day has worked best for me. But I feed little since I fly my birds and need reliable return times. If these are strictly pets I would say do what works best, but don't let them get to fat. That's asking for more health problems.

More pigeons have died of being fed to much than to little. :)

63164506024--615089BE-C0FF-442A-A430-ACC32DCEAAF3.JPG 63201472129--8FB50951-D1DA-4E2A-9608-6025CC912C6A.JPG 63201473482--1A753C59-4CC9-40AD-907F-2AA08CC0D367.JPG
We do need photos.
Here are the birbs! We have a little aviary for them that's Too Small, and we're currently working on expanding it. Also have a question about pigeon-speak: What does the musical purring noise mean? Sometimes when I pick them up they grunt at me, which I'm assuming is an annoyance/distress thing, but the purring noise is new. I'm not describing it very well, I guess you could say it's a little like cooing? They make it when they're looking for each other/greeting each other, or sometimes just for no apparent reason.

View attachment 2484433View attachment 2484435View attachment 2484434

Here are the birbs! We have a little aviary for them that's Too Small, and we're currently working on expanding it. Also have a question about pigeon-speak: What does the musical purring noise mean? Sometimes when I pick them up they grunt at me, which I'm assuming is an annoyance/distress thing, but the purring noise is new. I'm not describing it very well, I guess you could say it's a little like cooing? They make it when they're looking for each other/greeting each other, or sometimes just for no apparent reason.
Beautiful! I like them.

Yes, they coo a lot!! Cooing is done to impress and express emotions,,, love for a mate, territorial, etc. :)

This is what your hearing, right?

This is what your hearing, right?
Yeah, it's something like that. I guess I expected their cooing to sound more like the white winged doves we have around these parts.
Also, unsurprisingly, I have another question. Sorry, sorry, I'm just super new to this and don't want to mess anything up! Both of my birds are kind of inactive. They don't move much unless it's to get food, they don't look puffed up and they're alert, but they mostly just sit there. The female, especially, likes to sit down like a chicken on eggs wherever she is. I thought they were cold, so I brought them inside to let them walk around on a towel, and they're just sitting there looking suspicious. Is this normal? Am I being pranked by a pigeon?

Yeah, it's something like that. I guess I expected their cooing to sound more like the white winged doves we have around these parts.
Also, unsurprisingly, I have another question. Sorry, sorry, I'm just super new to this and don't want to mess anything up! Both of my birds are kind of inactive. They don't move much unless it's to get food, they don't look puffed up and they're alert, but they mostly just sit there. The female, especially, likes to sit down like a chicken on eggs wherever she is. I thought they were cold, so I brought them inside to let them walk around on a towel, and they're just sitting there looking suspicious. Is this normal? Am I being pranked by a pigeon?
I'm guessing because they are in a small cage they don't have much reason to move. And if they are moved inside mine also freeze. don't worry, just keep working on making cage bigger. :)

Back
Top Bottom