Log Cabin project has begun.

FirstChickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 11, 2014
Chuckey, TN
I want to post the progress of my coop as I get each stage or little by little progress done. This will be an on going and updated.

This was the beginning of digging out the level starting point.

All dug in, now time to get the corners square and lay the rock corner post. That was a lot of digging by hand but after three days of working a little here and a little there it is ready for the next step.

Got a couple of rows up today, will post pictures tomorrow. This is a labor intensive job to say the least...worn out for sure tonight!

Update....
This is coming down the driveway looking at the Run side of the coop.

This is from my deck, where I can drink a cold one and watch the little flock frolic.

I have to say, posting photos on this forum is the easiest forum I have ever used. Many others are URL only and post in the gallery then on the post......It's nice and easy here.

Until next time.

Welcome! Nice start; I'd love a log coop myself. I am wondering about your base; Will it have adequate drainage? And also, predator protection. Will it have a concrete floor, or buried wire or footings? Are those cedar or locust logs, or rot resistant some how? Mary

Welcome! Nice start; I'd love a log coop myself. I am wondering about your base; Will it have adequate drainage? And also, predator protection. Will it have a concrete floor, or buried wire or footings? Are those cedar or locust logs, or rot resistant some how? Mary

Thanks for reading and posting, I was wondering if the post was being looked at or not.

The wood is Hemlock, not the best, but it will last at least 5-7 years before I build a bigger coop. Dirt floor, no wire in the floor. With the coop being cut into the side of a hill, about 2' deep in the back and sloping to the front. I have some old metal roofing, plan to put the hardware cloth on the side and bear it to the base of the logs. That would be around 2' deep with the added metal to help. The metal will also be bent at the bottom to help water flow off the hill. Going to add french drain on the back and down hill side of the coop (Left in the picture), should also help with moisture.

I'm going to use the DLM for the flooring, which is why I am leaving it dirt (and cost). I'm trying to build this with no money out of pocket except gas for the chainsaw and some fencing material. Haven't decided if I'm going to make old fashion wood shingles or metal roof. Lots of work for the wood ones, but would look really good with the log theme.

Thanks

Dirt floors are great, IMO. Nice work! Make sure to have lots of ventilation. I wouldn't think that cold will be an issue, but shade in summer and ventilation will be important. Mary

That looks fantastic, cant wait to see the finished pics! Come to NM and build one for me
big_smile.png

Work some more on the coop this week. I have decided to stop the walls, working alone most the time and dealing with large logs is dangerous with out the right equipment. So, a come-a-long and block and tack is not going to make it safe for me to go any higher with the walls.

So, I have left them where they are and made the peak higher, this should help with snow and other debris that may fall on roof. It is a little out of square, but it is hand made with little to no experience. So I'm happy so far.

Time for pictures.

Back
Top Bottom