Log cabins--please post pictures of yours

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Kansaseq, Dec 12, 2009.

1. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I am a huge log cabin lover, ever since my best friend moved out to North Idaho and built one 20 years ago with her family. I want to live in one someday ,and love looking at pictures of them, the more rustic, the better.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I don't think I have any pics on the computer.. But the one my wife has was passed down from her great grandpa & great great grandpa..... So.......... It's about 380 sq feet but it's got a great view in the northern LP of michigan.

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    oooh, please! My dream is to move out of the rat race and have a cottage/cabin, garden, chickens, rabbits, hunt, fish... just like friends of my mom did in N. Idaho, but that was more than 20 years ago. I am slowly getting the city spouse to see it.

4. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Boyd, I'd love to see a pic if you ever scrounge one up. Does it have a cool ghost story, too? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  5. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Where in North Idaho? My friend lives in Hope, last name Reed.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:not that I know. I only came into the pic of that cabin 5 years ago [​IMG] We shut it down in the winter.. drain the water from the pipes & water heater, pour anti-freeze in all the drains, set out a couple dozen poison traps and lock up any long term food storage stuffs in a steel cabinet... (more so the mice and bear aren't tempted if a stray smell gets out) and let it freeze. In the spring we reverse the order and kick the small heater on to make sure everything is un-thawed before we flush, rinse and start up. This year we ended up giving the logs a coat of paint. The lake the cabin is on is at the bottom of the ridge with the hills and rocks rising behind us.

If it wasn't 5 1/2 hours away I'd be up there more often.

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

8. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think we are the only cabin in our Colorado canyon that still has an outhouse and no running water....which depending on the time of year is sometimes inconvenient [​IMG] It has two front doors because at one time it was a bunkhouse with the two separate sides being independent. We now use only one of the doors and there is a door between the two halves. (By the way, the outhouse has a window on the left side and is a TWO-seater [​IMG].... one being quite shorter for the little ones)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  9. Kansaseq

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Quote:Wow, I'll take 5!
    Hens4fun, I'm jealous! And it's in Colorado!

10. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I am going to have to go outside and take pictures. Mine is not like most you see nowadays. The logs actually came off the land. They are not all nice and even like the ones made today. This house is very very old but I can not date it. I have looked at the tax rolls even they do not know when it was built, only when taxes were first payed on it. There are 3 more in this general area (that I know of) that are like this one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by