Log end coop construction as it relates to bears

offdagridsoon

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Ontario
This is a bit of an offspin of the recent posts in the Predators forum on bears...

We are looking into moving to an area that surely has bears living there. On top of good fencing, to include electric, and guard animals, we want to have our coop strong enough to withstand a bear attack, "just in case". Better safe than sorry!

Does anyone have any experience with log end construction? We were going to make their coop out of that, and it would seem to be quite solid, but then we haven't heard from anyone who has experience with it as far as it relates to bears. Does anyone here know anything about that? The walls would be quite thick..

Sure it could be done, but I can think of many less labor intensive and quicker methods to build a coop. A bear may get onto my run, but it will not likely get into my coop, using standard wood frame construction.

Forgot to mention in the original post that the effort to build it will not be a waste to us.
wink.png
We're also going to be slowly putting together a small B&B endeavour, which will have cabins across the property made with various building materials, one of which will be log end. So really, the coop will be a 'practice' cabin for us.
smile.png

Well, I built my shop before I built my house using the same logic. It would look pretty cool. I think you could save on mortar by not building 12" thick walls, maybe try one wall at 12", and the others at 6". Plan well, because altering the coop afterawrds would be a task and a half.

Quote:
I don't think they have much for termites in Ontario.
smile.png

If you do build this coop, I would love to see a picture of the finished product offdagridsoon!

Back
Top Bottom