Lohman browns or no?

reddogracing

Hatching
Apr 28, 2016
about to give chickens a try. We enjoy eggs. I found this add close to me, but the pics do not look like the interenet pics i can find. https://westky.craigslist.org/grd/5549053342.html

I think we will start with 8 and a chicken tractor from my menonite neighbor. Hopefully train them so we can let them out for awhile each day and still be able to lock them up at night. we eat 5-6 eggs most days and latly supermarket eggs taste bland to me, I love egg yolks with flavor.

Welcome to BYC!
Lohman Brown is one of the proprietary names that is used to sell red sex inks -- they are egg laying machines and the bird of choice for the commercial brown egg producers. *I* would take the 4 month olds over the 1 year olds as they will just be coming into production in the next couple of weeks for their first laying cycle and likely lay right on through winter where the older ones will reach their first molt in the fall and may not lay again until spring. With the high production bred birds like this the first two laying cycles are the most productive so why miss out on most of one by starting with the older birds?

also, when you buy chickens like this is it normal to lose any? Just wondering if I should account for this and get a few extras while I am there or stick with jst what i want at 8

Back
Top Bottom