LOL Broody hen 7 week chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by growinupinfl, Dec 28, 2010.

1. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    [​IMG]

The chicks were hatched the first weekend of November, and Momma thinks they all still fit under her... I guess at some point they will stop trying to crawl under her.. She has 11 chicks total under her in that picture.

Christal

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    LOL so cute! My pigeon Ma still lets her favourite baby sleep under her at night. (15 weeks). For the others......it's an occupational hazard going near her!

ETA: My proud ma:
    [​IMG]

and yeah, she's in the chicken coop [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Too adorable! She's certainly trying her best to cover them all!

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    OMG, what a good Mom! Both of them. In the second picture are they baby chicks or pigeons? I don't want to feel dumb but I have to ask...... lol.

5. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:Not at all a dumb question.[​IMG] They're baby silkies. Pigeons at this age are unfeathered and need to be regurgitated food from their parents. Case in point: this pigeon was hatched under an african ringneck dove [​IMG] We're big on surrogates where we live [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Not at all a dumb question.[​IMG] They're baby silkies. Pigeons at this age are unfeathered and need to be regurgitated food from their parents. Case in point: this pigeon was hatched under an african ringneck dove [​IMG] We're big on surrogates where we live [​IMG]

A pigeon can hatch out chicken eggs? Wow, interesting! She's a beautiful pigeon.

7. teenchik

teenchik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    lAhhh how cute

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  8. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    They are so funny, The poor chicks kept falling off trying to get under her.

So I am going to be the enabler to help prevent empty nest syndrome I will give her a bigger nest box for her an the chicks. I guess it is a good thing I already gave away nine chicks. She would be having a big problem then [​IMG] . If it gets to the point she is trying to crawl on the chicks because they are full grown I guess I will have to figure out something else... LOL

Christal

9. HenPecked_bychildren

HenPecked_bychildren Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    SW Florida
    That is so cute! After our Mama started roosting again at night her chicks sat under their Daddy. No joke. He didn't roost anymore(fat lazy man) and they sat under him. The cutest thing ever.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by