LOL chickens, got to love them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Darklingstorm, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    I have 9 full grown laying hens and six 7 week old chicks. The hens are in the coop and the chicks are in my growing out box in the garage. Every day I take the chicks to their own fenced off run so that they can get used to each other and all can free range. So today with the sun shinning down, I decided to let my 7 week old chicks out to free range with the big girls. The lowest big girls bullied the chicks a little but nothing serious. The alpha hens (I have 2) just walked through them and didn't really take interest. Yeah they get along! I'm sitting out there watching them, but then my 2 year old son needs to use the bathroom. So we go inside. When I come back out, ALL the big girls are in the chick run and all the chicks are under the trees where the big girls usually are. I guess the dead grass is better on the other side of the fence after all. Silly chickens.

2. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    I know what you mean about silly chickens. I have 2 big feeders out for the adult birds, and 2 small feeders out for the small birds, but the big birds eat out of the small feeder, they have to lay down on the ground to eat out of it, but the go for it like gang busters, looks real odd to see those big hens laying on each side of the feeders, trying to eat out of the little feeders, is a lot more work for them, then I see the little ones in the big feeders, feet and all going to town of the big girls feed, chickens, gotta love them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by