1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

lol....hard boiled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tav1, Mar 31, 2015.

1. tav1

tav1 Songster

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    Ok so the ladies are laying no problem there. But this has happend all the time ,when I make hard boiled eggs and cool them off.....the shells don't peel off like they should ,they stick to the egg it self and gets torn apart....has this happens to any one else.

2. tj74roberts

tj74roberts Songster

Mar 4, 2014
    Ceres, Caifornia
    add a couple of tbs of baking soda to the water. The shells will come off like magic.

3. tav1

tav1 Songster

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    Ok....but when we got store bought eggs there was no problem

4. michael1003

michael1003 Chirping

Apr 29, 2014
    Thats cuz your store bought are almost a month old

5. RonP

RonP Crowing

Boil the eggs for around 13 - 14 minutes.

Remove from stove and dump in ice cold water until completely cooled.

Report back your results.

6. tav1

tav1 Songster

Nov 4, 2014
    ct.
    Ron....I did do that. Just seems like these and store bought are different

7. RonP

RonP Crowing

Then next time let your "fresh eggs" sit on the counter for a week before hard boiling...do not wash them until ready to cook.

8. UrbanFarmOC

UrbanFarmOC Songster

Jun 9, 2014
    Southern California
    When I dump my fresh eggs in ice cold water and let cool, I can't peel it properly. I've tried it a few times. I find that, however, if I peel it while it's still warm, it's a lot easier. I just remove it from boiling water, dip it in a glass of water from the tap for a minute or so. At that point it's so much easier to peel for me. If it's still really hot, I re-dunk it in tap water so the egg doesn't burn my hands.

9. nab58

nab58 Songster

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    I had the same problem peeling when I used my old method which was putting the eggs in cold water, bringing to a boil, then shutting off the heat and waiting 10 minutes.

Now, I bring the water to a roiling boil first, place the cold eggs in the water and boil for 15 minutes. I then plunge them in ice water until cool. It seems to work and they aren't overcooked. I have no idea why a fresh egg would take longer to cook than a store bought.

Search around, there was a long thread on the subject of fresh egg boiling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by