LOL! I am BLU-KOTED, any removal tips???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ZepChick, Jul 24, 2010.

1. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    AArgh!
    My chickens are brats, a few have featherless patches and I was blu-koting them to deter pecking. So of course, who do you think got the majority of the purple coloring? Soap, rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, olive oil have all been unsuccessful. Are there any other tips/tricks to try? I don't want to go to work Monday with a purple hand [​IMG]
    Thanks ~ Kim

2. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

At least it's not all over your face! LOL

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Been there, done that. Blue Kote on top of chicken head, chicken shakes head, Blue Kote EVERYWHERE! Looked like i had purple freckles.

i don't know of any solution to remove it, just time and lots of soap and water.

4. ZepChick

ZepChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    coos bay OR
    Rare Feathers, [​IMG] I have been there. This time it's deep complete purple, whole hand. Looks really weird. May be I need the acetone nail polish remover, I think I have some, will go search for it. Thanks all for your replies, blu-kote should come with a warning that explains you will be purple if you have naughty chickens!

5. Chex36

Chex36 New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    Hi! I was doing the same thing today, blu-coating my 4 month old buff Brahmas that were being de-feathered by their sisters,
    I soak some pure bleach on a cotton ball & rub, it comes off pretty fast, I guess you can dilute it too if you want though it may take a little longer..[​IMG]

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    blue-kote the other hand for a matched pair!!

7. mickistoy

mickistoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    Quote:is this a "been there" statement? [​IMG]

8. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    hahaha! oh the fun of purple speckles. i think we've all been there at some point in time. i got some weird looks at work one time when i looked like i lost a fight with a blueberry. nail polish remover(the kind with acetone) will help. otherwise its really just wait untill it wears off. i always wear rubber gloves when i use the stuff...but it always finds some skin to color somehow.

9. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    The same thing happened to me last night. After a morning of working outside with gardening gloves on, most of it has sweated/rubbed off my hands. Now if only my gloves went up to my shoulders...

I'll bet most of it is gone by Monday. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by