LOL one tough chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodmort, Jul 21, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I have three sets of chicken: 3 older hens, 10 pullets that I got as chicks in midApril and 31 chicks than came at the end of May. The hens and pullets have been together for a few weeks and are getting along well. Yesterday I took the door off between the chicks and older birds so they could blend. This morning I went down to feed and water everyone and found the hens up on the high roost and the pullets cowered in the corner. The reason? One of the Black Star chicks was on their side of the coop and,apparently, this threatened them. [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I've HEARD about those Black Stars - they's mean'uns. [​IMG]

Aren't Black Stars equivalent to Black Sex-Links? My BSL really IS a bit of a bully. She was lowest in pecking order in my "original" flock of 7, and when I added two older, layers to the flock, Greta made sure to let those Lakenvelder sisters know SHE had more rank than did they. So what if they were already laying eggs, made no matter to her. She was no longer the lowest ranking pullet!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  3. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    That's hilarious! What a spunky chick [​IMG]

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes Black Stars are sex-links but the ones I have are the only hens that don't run away when I approach. Of the 3 hens I have, one is a BS and she is the only one that will eat out of my hand.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I really was teasing.... Normally, one "hears" about the tough kids in the 'hood ahead of time... that's all I was trying to say. Didn't mean it literally, although it was a literary gambit.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
  6. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Maybe they thought it was a 'Death Star'........LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by