LOL one tough chick

woodmort

RIP 1938-2020
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
I have three sets of chicken: 3 older hens, 10 pullets that I got as chicks in midApril and 31 chicks than came at the end of May. The hens and pullets have been together for a few weeks and are getting along well. Yesterday I took the door off between the chicks and older birds so they could blend. This morning I went down to feed and water everyone and found the hens up on the high roost and the pullets cowered in the corner. The reason? One of the Black Star chicks was on their side of the coop and,apparently, this threatened them.
lol.png

I've HEARD about those Black Stars - they's mean'uns.
gig.gif

Aren't Black Stars equivalent to Black Sex-Links? My BSL really IS a bit of a bully. She was lowest in pecking order in my "original" flock of 7, and when I added two older, layers to the flock, Greta made sure to let those Lakenvelder sisters know SHE had more rank than did they. So what if they were already laying eggs, made no matter to her. She was no longer the lowest ranking pullet!

Last edited:
Yes Black Stars are sex-links but the ones I have are the only hens that don't run away when I approach. Of the 3 hens I have, one is a BS and she is the only one that will eat out of my hand.

Quote:
I really was teasing.... Normally, one "hears" about the tough kids in the 'hood ahead of time... that's all I was trying to say. Didn't mean it literally, although it was a literary gambit.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom