LOL, So thought I'd get my dog ready for chicks, don't think it worked

kelseygirl707

Dances with Chickens
10 Years
Mar 3, 2009
Lakeport, Ca.
So I got my dog a Chicken toy today and before I gave it to him, I told him he couldn't tear it up, that we are going to have babies in the house, and he had to be gentle, and it started out good, and he hasn't actually ripped it, but I don't think a chick would like the way he's playing, LOL.
ep.gif

24137_img_3747.jpg

24137_img_3743.jpg

24137_img_3738.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't have gotten my dog a chicken toy, that would be like telling my Snoopy 'this is what chickens are, a toy for you'. When we got the chicks in I just held one so it couldn't move around and showed it to my dog, I let him sniff it and told him it was not for him. He still likes to watch the chicks but that introduction got most of his curiosity about them out. Now they fly all over the place and strut around the floor and he just watches them, sometimes he will sniff them if they get close to where he is sitting or laying. I still remind him that they are not for him by saying "Snoopy, leave it" in a firm voice if he looks like he might be getting too interested. I think it is hardest for him when I pick one up and it is squawking like a squeaky toy but again, just a firm "leave it" and he finds himself something else to do. He's always been good though. Full grown chickens are just scenery to him, nothing worth even looking at, and he wasn't even raised with them.

BTW, very adorable dog! How old is he?

lol.png
Oh so cute pics.
Are you going to have the real chicks so the dog can meet them?
I have a house full of pets so my dogs are so used to small and fuzzy. My dogs BFF is a bunny
020108thor.jpg

cute pictures!

I thought I would let my dog come and sniff the chicks, and they could slowly adjust to being around each other. She was very good, came over and gently sniffed them. Then she gave them a little lick, and I thought- Awww, she wants to mother them... and then she gently reached in... opened her mouth... put it around the chick... and she hasn't been back around them since.

I bought her a rubber chicken squeaky toy. It doesn't really look like a chicken, its one of those Kong things. She's already torn the head and legs off
roll.png

I have a 6 month old Vizsla mix and getting chicks in April. I'm formulating a plan - she's super quick and intense about all of our animals - cats, horses - and our neighbor's chickens, though learning nicely what's allowed and not. (She's fenced in, can't get to the neighbors chickens, but she would really like to! Please??!!) Worrisome, so I thought I'd get her used to wearing a basket-muzzle, and then introduce her to the chicks and let her smell them etc with that on, to prevent the sudden chomp-chomp. Anyone tried that? My other dog is a sweet Pyrannees cross who will be great, but this puppy...

Cute pics.

My dog knows the word chicken, because I give her chicken jerky as a treat. So now whenever I talk about chickens, she perks up and looks excited. I'll have to call the chickens something else I think.

I did take her to meet a chicken though and she was thoroughly unimpressed, so I think she'll be good with them. As long as I don't let her know they are full of jerky!

LOL, Really I just saw the chicken toy, and couldn't resist getting it for him, I don't actually expect him to make a connection from the toy to the chicks. He's my baby, and an inside dog, so he will be introduced to the chicks right away, but of course never left alone around them. I really don't see him being a problem, when he's at my inlaws house when the wild Turkeys come through, he just sits on the lawn watching them with is ears up, and head cocked to one side, then he will run over to me and look at me, then the turkeys then at me almost to say "Look mom.... what are they?). Also our local pet store has all their small animals in clear bins that are eye level for him (He's a Bull Mastiff Mix, LOL) and he'll just sit there watching them trying to sniff throught the glass, getting nose prints all over the place. I'm using an Big old aquarium for a brooder and I really see him just sitting in front of it for hours watching them, like doggy TV, LOL. He just turned a year old, and I have yet to ever see the prey instinct in him, but again he will always be monitored around them, because as much as I trust him with all my heart, you just never know.

What I did was make my dog lay down and then I set the baby chicks all over his body and told him NO when he tried to do anything naughty. I did this every day for two weeks and now he is outdoors with them and leaves them totally alone
big_smile.png
That is when I'm out there with him. I don't think I would trust him alone with them! LOL

Back
Top Bottom