1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

lol stop eating your bedding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Oct 31, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chirping

Sep 18, 2011
    my chicks reside on rodent bedding and when i let them out to play near their brooder there was a bit of bedding here and there. first they peck, then they eat it [​IMG] is this odd?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    How old are they?
    I cover bedding with burlap for the first week till they know what food is vs. bedding.

3. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Songster

Apr 29, 2011
    They can get a bound crop and die from the inability of food to pass through the system. The vet bill was about $250 to fix it and the chick has never been right.

Burlap, an old towel, paper towels, that rubber shelf liner stuff, sand, are all better alternatives than wood chips. I still do wood chips but will probably stop since I have been trending towards less smart breeds that just don't get it. Newspaper will be slippery and possibly cause splayed leg.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  4. raymondjames

raymondjames Chirping

Sep 18, 2011
    AAHHH!! they might die!!?? theyre three weeks old... what can i use as a bedding alternative (newspaper)?

5. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chirping

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Just lay paper towels on top of the current bedding. They can't eat it but it still does it's job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by