Lola needs a home (free for pickup only)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by BooBear, Apr 22, 2011.

1. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Lola is 19 week old Partridge Silkie cockeral that needs a new home as Cinnimon has given him the boot.
    Lola was hatched from a shipped egg bought from Reesepoultry.

Lola is a subordinate male in the Silkie flock that was busted grabbing and mating with the bosses main squeeze. For sure thought Cinnimon was going to do him in. Lola even made a move on one of Lesters girls (big fluffy Wyandotte girl) and was chased 3 times around the coop. It is time to rehome this randy boy before the bigger boys do get a hold of him.

Lola is currently in the bachlor pen but would make someone a nice little rooster. I can't bring myself to want to eat him so I am offering him up for free for local pick up only.

[​IMG]

Lola is the smaller dark partridge male in this picture. Cinnimon is the larger male on the right.
    [​IMG]

If you are interested please let me know so arrangements can be made for you to pick him up.

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    How far a drive is Conroe from Dallas?
    I don't have any silkies, but would he be interested in being a cute pet?

3. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Dallas is 200 miles from Conroe which is between 2 to 3 hour drive depending on ones speed.

Lola is a bit aloof but curious and once held calms down. Food works well in taming up a guy though. The Silkies love scratch, the wild bird seed cakes that have millet, peanut, scratch, BOSS in it, they love watermelon. I do mess with them daily, the Silkies like to come up to you and will eat out of your hand.

Cinnimon is my tamest male (the male that I am keeping for the girls) and he keeps Lola back alot. He does not like sharing his food lady or his girls. So Lola tends to act shy. (but he sneaks up when Cinnimon is not looking).

4. txsckn1

txsckn1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    Oops. never mind. I would love to have him but I already have a roo and don't think he would appreciate it. Sorry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Anytime you would like to come over to get him would be fine.
    Just let me know what is convenient for you so we can make arrangements. I will be home all day tomorrow but I do know alot of folks are celebrating Easter Holiday.

Sorry I did not check messages been putting together another hutch.

6. txsckn1

Apr 9, 2011
    You can only have one male at a time right? I don't have the space to keep them separated right now. Would love to have silkies, I understand
    they have such wonderful personalities. Most of my chickens have been given to me, for layers. Just had one hatch 13 chix, 2 died, one I am
    'tending' as it has wry neck and a splayed foot. Thank you so much. Maybe we can meet up sometime anyway. BTW, why 'Lola'?

Have a blessed Easter.

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    hehehe

Lola was supposed to be a girl; however, he decided to live up to that song and be a boy. [​IMG]
    Dad teased me when I first named Lola so the joke about the song just stuck.

1 rooster for every 10 to 12 hens even though some boys think they can handle more. Silly boys.

I found out there will be a trade on May 1st at the Conroe Fair grounds so I am thinking if I cannot rehome him by then about taking him there to see if anyone wants to adopt him. Also have a cute 4 week old black frizzle male cochin (bantam too) that will need to rehome. I only have frizzle girls so cannot use him as 2 frizzles = frazzle which is not good.

Bantams are just too cute to make dinner out of, especially after treating them like pets.

8. txsckn1

Apr 9, 2011
    Thanks for understanding. I really would like to get a couple or three Silkies but, I wouldn't want the rooster I have, to try and 'jump' them.
    'Silly boys' [​IMG] After I thought about Lola being a 'guy', the roo in residence might want to beat him up. [​IMG]
    I don't know enough about chickens so have been reading all I can on this forum and elsewhere.
    What I have has mostly been given to me. Started out with a turken (Nana), buff orpington (Buffy the vampire killer) a wyanotte (sp) (Tammy
    as in Wynette) and a barred rock (from the hard rock). That was 4+ years ago. Then got 9 production reds, about 9 wks old, from a guy that
    raises them 50,000 at a time for layers. Later got about 3 more. Along the way they have been carried off by coyotes, killed by dogs, and
    a couple just died. Nana was killed this year by a neighbors dog, broke my heart. Now I have 5 more production reds, a white chicken that
    comes and goes whenever she wants to, looks kind of like a game bird or a leghorn. The mama hen (with 11 of 13 chix left), not sure what she is
    either, beautiful feathers (a little like a cochin) dark, with a tail like a game bird. And, a bunch of RRR's. Like I said, most of these were given to me.
    Initially only got them because I wanted the eggs. Over the years have begun to think of them more as pets. Am learning to 'handle' them more,
    have been working with the last PR's I got, picking them up etc. When I dig in the yard, I have LOTS of help. Well, thanks for listening. I will try to
    make the Conroe Fair, I will let you know if I am coming that way.

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Welcome.

Yeah boys don't like sharing their girls.

This will be my first time going to the trade day. I will be there in the afternoon as we already have plans in the morning. Should be fun and neat to check out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by