1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lola! Update;found 17 more! What were you thinking!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by noodleroo, Nov 27, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    I saw Lola come out from under the passion vine by the fence today singing the egg song. Low and behold, she had a perfectly hidden nest with 12 eggs! How in the world did I miss those? I just thought she was taking a break from laying! LOL I brought the eggs in and I'll keep them separate from the 'more timely gathered' eggs. I'll just break each one into a cup before using. I guess they'll be ok as long as they are cooked, right?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I'd float test each one to be sure. Put each in water -- if they float, they're no good.

3. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Thanks, I forgot about that. I guess I figured that our temps have been not too hot lately but I have no idea which are the older eggs! I still can't believe that I missed these in my own backyard![​IMG]

4. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Easy to do when they free range.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sneaky girl. [​IMG]

6. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    We obviously haven't used the weed eater in a while...[​IMG]

7. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I can just imagine egg all over when the weed eater hits the nest![​IMG] [​IMG]

8. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    So today, Lola was sitting under the passion vine again...but not where I found the other nest! She had started another one and it had 17 eggs! Somebody else must have laid there too sometimes. I checked the entire length of the vine (this time) and I'm pretty sure that's all. I tested each egg in water and only one (of the 29) floated! I still can't believe I didn't see either hiding place...

9. SkyWarrior

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Your hens have been busy![​IMG]

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh my! One of my hens sings the egg song near a corner of our house. I am going to have to investigate the bushes there after reading this!!!

Congrats on finding the eggs before too many of them had gone bad!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by