Lola's mystery wound is swelling

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by warriorchick, Dec 6, 2008.

1. warriorchick

warriorchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Hi peeps,

So, this morning I walked out to let the chickens out of the run and noticed Lola was bleeding from the top of her head- very fresh wound as the blood was still bright red. I have no idea how it happened as there are no signs of a fight and they were locked up all night- she was acting normal too.

So, I cleaned it up (thanks to the great advice of Quail something and someone else in the chat room- sorry I can't remember the names!!! It's been a long day) and isolated her in the house with food and water. I cleaned it with a saline solution and then put neosporine. We found the wound at the base of her comb- and then one smaller slit at the top of one part

Tonight when I checked on her, the bleeding had stopped, but now the area around her eye is quite swollen and puffy. Is this a sign of infection or could it just be normal swelling from the injury? It looks like she got in a bad boxing match. If it is infected, is neosporine enough to fight that or should I try some antibiotics in her food water? any ideas?

ps. sorry there's not pics right now- I'm going to get them in the morning so I don't have to wake her up.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    I'd think you're right about the boxing match. If the swelling around the eye gets more pronounced post up a pic. When she's well enough to reintroduce to the flock pick a time when you're able to watch `em for a bit. See if any new/old sparring partners decide to go a few more rounds. Seems like you're doing everything possible at the moment.

Good luck!

3. warriorchick

warriorchick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks! The swelling seems to be going down now and I plan to reintroduce her to the flock later today.

4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Is she healed? I would wait until she's pretty much healed before reintroducing her to the flock. They'll see a wound and peck at it making it worse than the original wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by