Lone 8 wk old roo added to older hens/roo.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by nicoletm24, Sep 12, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Will he be ok? he's a barred rock roo, i'm assuming bc he's sooooooo much lighter then the hens were. Well, I sold the hens the other day, so he's the only one of the 8 wk olds I have left. I had him chilling with my 2 wk olds, but he was quite the bully...so I decided to move him into the big coop.

the question is, since I am 99.9999% sure he's a roo, how long will my older RIR roo let him be until he trys to fight him. I know he's going to get beat up a lot since he's the only 8wk old in there now....i went to check on him, and he's hiding in a corner [​IMG] I hate the dang hazing process the other chickens do to the lil ones. I always get mad! ha. i "talk" to the older ones and say "when i put ya'll in here, you got picked on...so don't"!!! yea...they don't listen! HA [​IMG]

2. sixxchixx

sixxchixx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Escondido, CA
    i think 8 weeks is pretty small to be with big chickens...
    but as far as how long the big roo will tolerate him... how many hens do you have. ive read that there should be about 8-10 hens per roo to minimize fighting. but once the little roo is integrated totally, he probably has until he is sexually mature (full size and crowing) if you only have a few hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by