Lone baby hen! Help!

darcylapp

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Madison
I started off with six hens and one rooster, but unfortunately, two of the hens died. We got these chicks in stages: two Bantams in May, Two Polish in June, and three day-old Easter Egger chicks in July. The two hens that have died where part of the last trio.

Now, the lone Easter Egger is getting bulled and picked on my the Polish hens - they won't let her out of the coop - if she manages to get out, they chase her back in. I am worried that she will get depressed without her friends in combination with the bullying.

Any thoughts or advice?

any way to divide the run?
I hate pecking orders! Cant we all just be friends?
hugs.gif

...yes, but I am also worried because she seems to be lonely now that her two hen mates have died. Have any of you ever had a lone (very young) hen? Like one that started with a group, but the others have all died, and now she is left to fend for herself?

I had one that was alone and about 4 months old, she did the same. She even looked depressed and didn't want to some out into the run. About 2 -3 weeks after getting her we got 4 younger pullets and she loved it. She was no longer sitting on the roost by herself....she was getting down to boss them around. They are real easy going pullets and let her be the boss, now she comes out with everyone else. She is still a wary pullet, but is finally doing well with all the flock.

so my suggestion would be to get some about her age and see if she bonds with them...you can even separate her with another hen/pullet and then when you re-introduce them they are 2 strong.

Back
Top Bottom