Lone baby Silkie for two weeks... will he/she be okay?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cindyanne1, Sep 22, 2012.

1. cindyanne1

cindyanne1 Mother Goose

Apr 19, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I had one Silkie hatch from the eggs I was setting, and it seems really healthy, but I'm worried because there's only the one. All of my other chickens are way too big to put with it and I don't have any broody hens at the moment. I had been hoping to hatch two or three Silkies that I would keep as pets for myself and the kids, separate from the layer flock... but unfortunately my eggs had other ideas. :(

Anyway, I found a hatchery that has chicks available... and I can get a friend for my Silkie and also a few more chicks for my layer flock, but they won't be able to come until the week of Oct 9. I went ahead and ordered them and I'm really hoping my little loner can pull through until then.

Right now all it seems to do is cheep until it gets exhausted, and then sleep. I've been able to coax it to eat some chick kibble but when I try to show it the water, it has no interest. I made it a little bit of oatmeal so it could get some moisture into it, and it did eat some of that.

I generally don't have any trouble getting chicks to eat... but they have always been with friends and they don't spend all of their time crying and sleeping. :( I'm worried this chick will pine away before its companion gets here.

Any tips to make a lone chick happier?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I had to raise a lone chick once after his mom decided she doesn't want to be a mom after all. I gave him lots of attention, held him as much as possible and tucked him under a feather duster when I couldn't. He grew up to be a lovely, affectionate roo who's taking very good care of his flock. As long as little chicks don't feel alone they're happy, no matter what species the company is, it's good! Raising a lone chick can be a bit of a challenge, but very rewarding too.
    To encourage your little one to drink, get a firm grip on it and dip its beak quickly in some water. But make sure you don't submerge it's nostrils, just let it get some water. It'll get the idea.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by