Lone chick dilemma

millyandthechickens

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2020
We only got one egg to hatch and so we have a lonely chick who desperately needs a friend. Availability is very limited and I’m finding it very difficult to find very young female chicks as we do not really want another rooster. I have only found two options:

1. Buy a 6 days old unsexed chick today
2. Wait until Tuesday (3 days time) to get a 10 days old female

I’m worried the longer I leave it our chick will get too lonely and it will be more difficult for the chicks to integrate. On the other hand, if I manage to get one today there is always a risk that it is a rooster.

If you were in this position, what would you do? Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I’ve been in this position but I hatched more babies for my lone chick. So my lone chick had to wait at least three weeks for new friends of his age. It worked out though because he took those new babies under his wing. Almost literally. While we waited for the new babies to hatch though he had lots of stuffies and a mirror. Also a soft blankie he could snuggle with. He also got to go shopping with me and hung out in my hair. He was a spoiled brat. Now he’s a teenager and just a brat. 😂

I would say if you aren’t comfortable with the possibility of a rooster then wait for the sexed female. Your lone chick will be alright for a couple days. It might need some extra attention, or a mirror or two, but it’ll be okay.

Lil Chi and his babies
3EC72C1E-29FB-42B6-8550-046823D47C84.jpeg

Lil Chi now
E6EF1CC7-222F-4729-A177-8A1EF728DBF4.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom