Lone Chick help please.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Meikakiri, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Meikakiri

Meikakiri Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    I've had a single chick born this morning, [none of the other eggs were fertile I received], does anyone have advice on raising it, I've only raised groups before and it's begging for attention, I only hatch birds for others and keep them till they are old enough to be fine without a brooder, I don't keep them myself so I can't purchase friends for the little one and don't have other birds for it to be introduced to.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    looks like you have a new mate then. lol

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've read that a mirror and/or a stuffed animal might help.

4. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    I've put a mirror in, a cuddly toy and my mothers ipad with a video of chicks on it, and he cries and he cries out for me still. Guess you're right a friend it is, thoguh I worry about him being away from his brooder when he's very wobbly trying to look for me, that leads me on to, should I be worried he hasn't got walking down yet, he's a very wobbly chick, whose very concerned where I am more then learning to walk or drink. I've been hand giving him water out of worry.

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    how about wetting his food with some warm sugar water? quick energy. what kind of chick is it? and if you hatched for someone else dont they have more?

6. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    It's a bantam, believed to be a female, we hatch birds for egg laying and pets not meat, and it was to be a favour to my grandad, but he then told us who it was for and she has a history of strangling her birds, we hatched and raised to adulthood three birds for her prior and she has killed them all I found recently, so we decided since the egg was not hers we had bought it and hatched it that we couldn't send the chick knowing it would be certain death, we're currently looking into a replacement home for the little one, and i put in some sugar water last night on the advice on here :) I've been told the chick has started drinking whilst I was out today.

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you shouldnt have a hard time rehoming him. you can post in birds in need of free rehoming. there is a lot of us out here with babies right now. i dont blame you, i wouldnt send her either.

8. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    She's still not eating yes so i've made a baby mush up for her I just thought i'd ask if it would be fine before I gave it to her, it's cooked persimmon with corn and yolk blended into a paste.

9. animal madd

animal madd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    I raised few chicks I alway give them medicated starter mash and wet bread but not to much as they get scoures not sure about persimmon cause its not a a chooks real diet hope it helps abit

10. animal madd

animal madd Out Of The Brooder

Nov 27, 2013
    Not to much wet bread

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by