Lone chick left

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nortonsmom, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Nortonsmom

Nortonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    we had another bad hatch and not sure why - good temps and humidity - ended up breaking the 3 out of their eggs after 3 days....2 have died - I have one left - will my broody hen take it on? I'm afraid if its alone it will die - but I dont want her to eat or kill it - any advise or suggestions? Thanks.

2. cutiecochingirl

cutiecochingirl Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Indiana
    Ok did you have it in a incubator? If the temp and what not was good then let me ask you somthing are you candling your eggs to much? I know for a long time I was buying eggs and then I kept on candling them. Then I found out that you can only candall them 2 times the entire time your eggs are in the incubator. I had a least 200 eggs die on me before I knew that. What kind of incubator are you using? Or are the eggs under a broody hen? How many eggs do you have? Cause if you put the egg under a broody then if you only have one egg and that chick hatches then a long as you find either another chick or a adult that won't hurt the baby the baby will be fine. Hope this advice helps you and if you need some more info just PM me.

3. Nortonsmom

Nortonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2009
    Ellenboro NC
    yes I did. I only ever candle them the once- After a week or so. I have a hovabator with a turner....I have a broody hen who is sitting on eggs, but I also had the eggs inside...currently the hen is setting on eggs so I stuffed the poor baby under her...I'm hoping if she actually hatches a few of them out it will all work out...cross your fingers! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by