1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Lone Chicken with weather below freezing!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WinterChicks, Jan 7, 2015.

1. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chirping

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    Hey, I have a lone chicken with weather below freezing..I am trying to get another. What should i do?!

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Well, if you have one chicken all by herself I would bring her either in the garage or the basement to sleep at night. Even with two birds I would

put a heating lamp or bring them inside. Hope you figure it out!

[​IMG]

3. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chirping

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    I could bring her in our mudroom to sleep in a cage *maybe*...we have no basement/garage though. What about with 3?

4. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Yes, you could bring her in the mudroom in a cage. With three.....[​IMG] That one is hard, some people would say keep outside side while others say that is not enough chickens, if you do put them outside (three) I would put a heating lamp for chickens in the coop.

5. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chirping

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    I currently have her in the coop...she has been eating cracked corn and is shy. She is really pretty..She has been roosting. I have a heat lamp on, and the big window closed. I go out and check on her and I just gave her some pears.

6. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chirping

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    We brought her into the mudroom for the night...hoping to have a chicken by Saturday for her.

7. WinterChicks

WinterChicks Chirping

Jan 7, 2015
    Shawnee, Ohio
    UPDATE I bring her into the mudroom every evening..between 5 and 6 in a big cage with shavings, cracked corn, water and a heater in the room. She goes in the run/coop between 10am-12pm in the morning. We are getting some chickens tommorow so she won't be lonely long. :)

Thanks for all the help guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by