Lone docile hen looking for a room mate.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by luvmygurlz13, Jul 29, 2013.

1. luvmygurlz13

luvmygurlz13 New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi! New here to BYC! Love perusing this forum. Wealth of info!
    Looking for a compatible BFF for my lone standard buff brahma 20 wk old hen. She was part of a flock of 9. Two roo's now relocated (can't have roo's in my area), 3 Leghorn hens, 3 NH Red hens. They hated her to the point where she didn't move out of a corner only when chased out of it. They tormented her until they started pecking for blood. I removed her and made another coop for her and her future room mates. The others get along fine. They just did not dig her at all. She is sooo sweet and docile so I must be choosy about who she spends her time with. I am concerned with her docile behavior that she will be tormented again. I want to get her two more of her furry footed kind. Any suggestions? Will she do better with one of her own kind? I've read that Brahmas are generally gentle. Thanks for your help.
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would try another Buff Brahma or a Buff Orp, which are also supposed to be a gentle and friendly breed. I've had a few Buff Orps which were gentle. That's just what I happen to be familiar with; I'm sure there are others.

Of course, there is always a pecking order, and introducing new hens is always a bit of a scuffle between them, to varying degrees.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd get some more Brahmas, Cochins, Wyandottes, Orpingtons, or Faverolles. All of these breeds are generally gentle.
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by