Lone duck to hatch....raise on it's own or with newly hatched chickens.

CDennis

Songster
10 Years
Apr 1, 2009
Idaho
I have ALWAYS wanted ducks, specifically Saxony. When my DH said yes to ducks I ordered at total of 24 hatching eggs (no Saxony breeders near me). Unfortunately the shipping must have been rough both times and most the eggs never started to develop. I have a few on lockdown but at last candle it looked like only one or two might hatch. I have one currently hatching.

My question is; do I raise this little one by itself or put it in with the 30, three day old chicks I have?

I know they like company but even if I try my luck again with more shipped eggs it's going to be another 35 days or more before this little one would have a pal. I'm sure I'll order more eventually since I really do want Saxony ducks but for now, I'm not sure what to do with a lone baby.

Duck experts out there, please provide me your suggestions.

Don't know that I qualify as an "expert"... But I think 3 days age should be ok to put together. I would watch super closely tho, as you might have a size difference. Is there a mom or ducklings only? A mom might not accept it, that's why I ask. Back in the Spring, I had ducklings that were I think 2 weeks old that joined a new hatch with a mom, then after she decided she was done, the older ducklings sort of took on the mom role. Other opinions?

They are just chicks, shipped from Ideal. Thank you for the help. I also have some 2 week old chicks only 12 of them, they might be more "duckling size" if that would be better.

You mean chickens? Might work. I don't have chickens so I'm not much help there. The big thing is you don't want bigger birds stepping on your little ones, or hogging all the food, water, and warmth. If they're close to the same size, I think they should be fine. But I'd watch just to be sure.

What about the niacin the duckling will need. Anyone know if that would be okay for baby chickens if they are put together?

What about the niacin the duckling will need. Anyone know if that would be okay for baby chickens if they are put together?
I use Brewers yeast and since I feed all my flock together my chickens have been getting the extra niacin and it doesn't seem to have hurt them at all. I have never used plain niacin before always just the brewers yeast though.

I wasn't aware of brewers yeast. Thank you for the tip. For right now I have the little duckling by itself and I'm just giving it a bunch of attention. It is in a brooder next to the other chicks but I wanted to make sure none were sick before making the next move. Crossing my fingers at least another duckling hatches....

I wasn't aware of brewers yeast. Thank you for the tip. For right now I have the little duckling by itself and I'm just giving it a bunch of attention. It is in a brooder next to the other chicks but I wanted to make sure none were sick before making the next move. Crossing my fingers at least another duckling hatches....
fl.gif

You can keep it with the chicks, at least for now. It may not be an ideal long term solution. You could see if you could find a duckling locally, even if it isn't a breed you want to keep long term. I would get 2 more ducklings, you could always sell them later once you have more saxony. That way at least the duckling could be a duckling and not a chicken. ;) Since you won't have any more saxony for a bit, this lone duckling may not bond/accept them at first anyway. And they won't be able to be together for a few months due to the size difference.

Niacin won't hurt the chicks. It is often given to broiler chickens to help with legs/bones. I provide it in waterers for my ducklings and everyone (adult, baby, duck, chicken) drinks out of them at one time or another.

I hope more hatch.

Back
Top Bottom