Lone Duckling from Auction-PICS ADDED

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tiffanyh, Jun 30, 2008.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I just came home with a lone duckling from auction. I know they dont like to be alone but I dont have any other ducks for him so this is the situation I am stuck in. I do have chickens and a NN hen who is a sweetheart that I put all my chicks with.

I would like that he be comfortable out with us and follow us around so that he can have access to a pool when we are home during the day and them spend the rest of his time with the chickens. (He wont be in teh main coop, just with my sweet old hen) If I let him be with the NN hen now, will he imprint on her, then run away when he is out with us???

Thanks in advance! Ill post some pics later.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Plymouthroxgal

Plymouthroxgal Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Is There a Flea Market Near you Because I got good trades and deals in a flea market before
    also If you spend alot of time with it he might not be Boerd

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  3. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    There is a weekly livestock auction. I paid $1 for him...he is alone now in our kitchen in a carrier with food/water and stuffed animals....anything else I can do?

My daughter is slightly in love so he is getting attention but not 24/7 obviously.

4. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I added pics to the original post.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Really, no duck advice for a lonely duckling? No one out there has ever had this experience? Huh..........

Well thanks Plymouth for taking a moment to answer my question.

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I would get it a partner when you get to the sale again. He/She will be much happier with company. [​IMG]

7. tiffanyh

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    He is with company, he is with my NN hen.

8. sara

sara Title Needed Here

yes, but a chicken can't swim [​IMG]

9. WrenAli

WrenAli Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Lebanon, OR
    The pics are so cute!

I don't know to much about ducks. But I would think that any other type of waterfowl would make a good companion. As long as it wasn't to old, probably around the same age as your duckling or a little older.

Ducks don't imprint to the same level as geese, or so I read. So I don't think he'll imprint on your chicken. As for the running away, just like any other critter just spend time with him (her) and that will take care of it's self.

[​IMG]

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    I put my smallest guinea in with my lone duckling for about two weeks and they got along like a house on fire. The guinea would sit by the swimming pan while the duck splashed away and then they would curl up together for a nap. It was adorable!!! We ended up getting another duckling to keep the first one company, but I wonder if we had not done that, and if we would have played with it lot, maybe it would be more tame now. I love my ducks, but they don't love me nearly as much [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by