Lone Gosling

worryhorse

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 12, 2010
I put eggs from my Chinese Geese in the incubator. Only two were able to attempt to hatch, but after 24 hours I helped them out the rest of the way. One was malformed and did not survive more than a couple hours, but the other one is beautiful and just perfect.

My question is now that she is alone, I am not sure what to do with her. I spend a lot of time with her walking around the yard. I put together a pen under the tree along the fence where the chickens and her father are on the other side so that she can get some independant time and some exposure to the other birds. I have ot yet put her into anything she can swim in yet, however she has discovered a sprinkler turned on low and loved it. Then in the afternoon, she cuddles on my chest as we sit on the bench swing, where she falls asleep as we sway to and fro.

Originally, a friend was going to take two of the babies, but since there is only one, we are not sure. Would a lone gosling do ok with no other geese around? She does have chickens at her house, so the gosling would not be totally alone. At one point we were hoping that my female goose would have eggs hatch under her, but that is not happening so far, (another question on a different post). But even then, this one has grown amazingly fast. Should I just keep her here, (like that would be such a hardship...my little baby:) or let her go (it would be a wonderful family for her too). If I keep her here, when would I be able to introduce her to her parents, at this point I am sure that none of them realize the relationship. I want her to be safe and happy!
Note* I did inform the prospective mom that she was going to have to get either a rocker or a swing for the afternoon naps. :)

I had a lone goose as well and considered having him live with the chickens. When I put him out in the yard with the chickens he didn't want to be with them because he is imprinted on humans as yours seems to be. I could not find another gosling at the time and bought two ducks instead. They were best buds instantly and I'm glad I got him some waterfowl friends. They are inseperable. Just my 2 cents.

OH MY GOODNESS!!!

After some kind thoughts and replies to my various posts concerning the lack of hatching goslings, I went outside to check on her once again...

69642_img_20110516_134233.jpg

There is a total of three goslings!

Thank you everyone who replied for listening to this old hen!

Back
Top Bottom