Lone hen help

Amanda772021

Hatching
Feb 9, 2021
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few years and I have found it so useful, but now it seems to be the time I need help.

I now have a lone pekin bantam, as I had to put her last friend to sleep last week as the vet said it was marek's disease. Now I'm worried about her, as getting her any new friends is out of the question as she is most likely to be infected.

She was fine the first couple of days as she was able to go and free roam the garden, but we are in the middle of a really cold snap with snow. All she is doing now is roosting all day, she will come out a couple of times when I bring a treat, drinks and her comb is bright red. Now it's probably because its just not very inviting to go out due to the weather and me being overly worried.

Is there anything else I can do for her? I go up to see her a few times a day and talk to her which I get quizzical looks back, trying all sorts of treats - she loves scrambled egg! I've just ordered a mirror and as its so cold at night (-5 degrees) I got a cosy pad that you heat up but only lasts upto 10 hrs.

She is coming up to being 5yrs old, so I know she hasn't got much time left, just don't want it to be an unhappy time for her.

Sorry for the long winded post, any advice much appreciated!

Amanda

Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for the past few years and I have found it so useful, but now it seems to be the time I need help.

I now have a lone pekin bantam, as I had to put her last friend to sleep last week as the vet said it was marek's disease. Now I'm worried about her, as getting her any new friends is out of the question as she is most likely to be infected.

She was fine the first couple of days as she was able to go and free roam the garden, but we are in the middle of a really cold snap with snow. All she is doing now is roosting all day, she will come out a couple of times when I bring a treat, drinks and her comb is bright red. Now it's probably because its just not very inviting to go out due to the weather and me being overly worried.

Is there anything else I can do for her? I go up to see her a few times a day and talk to her which I get quizzical looks back, trying all sorts of treats - she loves scrambled egg! I've just ordered a mirror and as its so cold at night (-5 degrees) I got a cosy pad that you heat up but only lasts upto 10 hrs.

She is coming up to being 5yrs old, so I know she hasn't got much time left, just don't want it to be an unhappy time for her.

Sorry for the long winded post, any advice much appreciated!

Amanda
I had that happen to a hen, we had to get rid of all her friends at once. she fell into a depression, and just went really broody. It lasted forever, over 30 days. We gave her some chicks, and she got better.
You said no more friends, so I guess if I were you I would just spend time with her yourself. I don't know how friendly she is to humans, but that's just my suggestion.
I hope this helps and I hope she doesn't stay sad for too long.

:welcome :frow Since you don't want anymore birds, I would let her live her life out. Most birds are flock animals. They always have to reestablish a new pecking order when new birds are introduced. Good luck and enjoy her while you still have her, have fun...

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated. My vet suggested to not get any further friends due to the disease. If I can find another breeder (my last one is no longer selling) I will see if they have any available and vaccinated.

I live in the UK and we are currently in national lockdown due to the pandemic, so only essential shops are open which doesn't help.

I agree with others, if you can find another bird that is vaccinated I am sure she would be much much happier. I would try to find an adult bird someone is getting rid of that is vaccinated but that may be harder to come by.

If not give her as much human interaction as possible.

I agree with others, if you can find another bird that is vaccinated I am sure she would be much much happier. I would try to find an adult bird someone is getting rid of that is vaccinated but that may be harder to come by.

If not give her as much human interaction as possible.

Rescue hen from the British Hen Welfare Trust might be a possibility. As they're ex-commercial hens I would think they would be vaccinated? Though I'm not sure if they allow you to adopt just one. But yeah I think they are halted until the avian flu measures are lifted now.

Well I've been out and got three Buff Orpington bantams, just couldn't bare her being alone as again she wouldn't leave the coop.
She soon came out of her coop when she heard them and wasn't too impressed to say the least! But she soon showed them she was boss, being very vocal and even flew on to me to get a higher perch.

I put the new girls in the pen and she was allowed to free roam the garden. She was being a bit mean towards them and jumping at them, so I've kept them separate tonight. Currently she is loving the utility room, but that can't continue for long. I've heard about the 'night method ' by putting them in the coop together once they are roosting. Does anyone have any good experiences of this?

I had a cross beak. She had her own coop and pen. I did put other birds in with her that also needed extra TLC. At first she was a bit stand offish. Eventually they did bond some and they would follow her around. She would even wait for them. I would leave her in the utility room for a couple of days or so then put her back into her coop. It will give the other birds time to acclimate to their new place. Nighttime is a good time to reintroduce. They will all adjust eventually. They will work out their pecking order. I have the luxury of having several coops. Sometimes when I want to combine birds I move them all to a different coop so then they all have to readjust to the new coop. it usually works out better because I'm not putting new birds in a coop with birds that are already in there so everyone will be on an even keel. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom