Lone Jungle Fowl!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by safari_dave_2008, Jun 19, 2008.

1. safari_dave_2008

safari_dave_2008 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2008
    We are hand rearing a lone jungle fowl. It is doing ok as we have got him 6 days through.

He is eating, drinking, walking upright and chirping. He does poo fine most of the time but sometimes it sticks and I have to wash (his) bum with wet cotton buds. Will this sort itself in time and should I keep cleaning it?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Yes, it will probably sort itself out as long as his brooder is kept at the right temperature, and he has good food and water. After you wash his butt, put a little olive oil or mineral oil on it to help keep poop from sticking. I would also look for friend for him. Chickies don't like to be alone.

3. safari_dave_2008

Jun 19, 2008
    Thank you. The others from his brood are all doing well with the hen.

He has called when she is around but she has no interest in him. Would it be worth swiping one of his siblings from the hen or would this be detremental to it?

4. safari_dave_2008

Jun 19, 2008
    The Jungle fowl chick is six weeks old on saturday and is doing fine.Bottom problem is all sorted and he/she is covered in feathers. Just waiting to see if it is a boy or a girl. Still on its own but we let it see the chickens at work everyday.

5. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    what no pics?

6. safari_dave_2008

Jun 19, 2008
    [Pictures of Ivan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]