Lone male guinea attacking hens, reintroduce to flock?

Cadieystressman

Hatching
May 22, 2020
Hi last year I had gotten 8 guineas and did not house them long enough, so they all went into the wild for death. A week later 1 returned (Guin pen).

He is about a year now and has been living with my flock of 15 hens. I culled my aggressive roo last year and haven't had an issue. They have an good sized coop (able to house 25 chickens) and free range.

This week he started going after my barred rock hens. He was going to kill one til I got him off. She had a huge gash in her head, but is in recovery. he has been separated for the weekend.

My question is if anyone has been able to reintroduce aggressive guinea into flock.

(I currently have 8 baby guineas and 12 more chick's in a secondary coop waiting to join the flock (about 3 weeks old) but I fear he will kill my hens or the new birds. I got thr guineas for him because I felt he needed friends)

Hi last year I had gotten 8 guineas and did not house them long enough, so they all went into the wild for death. A week later 1 returned (Guin pen).

He is about a year now and has been living with my flock of 15 hens. I culled my aggressive roo last year and haven't had an issue. They have an good sized coop (able to house 25 chickens) and free range.

This week he started going after my barred rock hens. He was going to kill one til I got him off. She had a huge gash in her head, but is in recovery. he has been separated for the weekend.

My question is if anyone has been able to reintroduce aggressive guinea into flock.

(I currently have 8 baby guineas and 12 more chick's in a secondary coop waiting to join the flock (about 3 weeks old) but I fear he will kill my hens or the new birds. I got thr guineas for him because I felt he needed friends)
Hi Stressman,

I can’t say I’d you could introduce him, as my own guinea - chicken cohousing experience has been negative, though not as bad as that! My oldest guinea cock had to be separated from the ducks, and still fights with them when he can. Overall, the chickens, ducks and guineas get along much better for me if I house the guineas separately.

Back
Top Bottom