1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lone male missing his girls

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by btrbeana, Sep 2, 2013.

1. btrbeana

btrbeana Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2013
    Paris, Texas
    My girls all passed recently. Now, the male just circles the house and sits at the front door. He doesnt hang with the hens and doesn't go out to forrage in our pasture and woods like before. i feel so sorry for him. Its too late for me to bring any females... i dont know what to do with this poor lonely guy.

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Poor boy. my rooster got pretty sad and mopey when his hens passed on, until I got him a few girlfriends. Why can't you get him a few ladies?

3. btrbeana

Jul 12, 2013
    Paris, Texas
    I cant find any. Plus its super hot and i dont want to confine them to "home" for 2 weeks in the heat. Then theres introductions which i have completely screwed up...reason all the girls are gone. im feeling too incopentant to introduce new girls. My guineas and hens all live together right now in the north coop and run where its cooler. What happens if new ladies come and they fight. I love my little man aand hefollows me around cooing and looking in all the windows. he is lonely.

4. nailladi

nailladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    Gainesville, GA.
    You will have to give him to someone that will take the time to introduce him slowly to new mates or do it yourself. Try craigslist for guineas. That is where I advertise.

5. shooflydesign

shooflydesign Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    I had the same thing happen about a year ago to my male guinea. I went to a garage sale, bought him a cheap mirror, propped it up by one of his favorite hang-outs near the chicken coop and Voila! Happy guinea! At least temporarily! He hangs out with his "girlfriend" every day, talks to her, protects her, and sometimes, tries to sleep outside with her when she won't go into the coop with him. I tried putting another mirror in the chicken coop for him, but he wasn't having it. [​IMG]
    Anyway, it eased my guinea's sad time and I hope it helps with your guy!!

6. btrbeana

Jul 12, 2013
    Paris, Texas
    Perfect! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by