Lone rooster, new hens.

Angela duck mom

Hatching
Apr 24, 2021
I have a rooster who was with an older hen, sadly she passed away a few days ago. I bought two year old hens for him but they got aggressive when I introduced them and acted like roosters fighting. I have them in a cage inside the pen with my rooster now. My rooster is now doing a mating dance around them. What would be the best way to integrate them? I don't want anyone to get hurt.

I have a rooster who was with an older hen, sadly she passed away a few days ago. I bought two year old hens for him but they got aggressive when I introduced them and acted like roosters fighting. I have them in a cage inside the pen with my rooster now. My rooster is now doing a mating dance around them. What would be the best way to integrate them? I don't want anyone to get hurt.
Leave the girls crated for a few days with him having access around them. Then let just one out and see how she does with him. Then let the other one out.
I take it you didn't quarantine these girls before introducing them?

Leave the girls crated for a few days with him having access around them. Then let just one out and see how she does with him. Then let the other one out.
I take it you didn't quarantine these girls before introducing them?
No I didn't, I have different flocks in separate areas and this rooster is by himself so the new hens have not been introduced to anyone but this rooster. I just got them last night and they were kept away from everyone last night.

No I didn't, I have different flocks in separate areas and this rooster is by himself so the new hens have not been introduced to anyone but this rooster. I just got them last night and they were kept away from everyone last night.
How reliable was the source you got them from? I hope they are healthy and not carrying a latent CRD or external or internal parasites.

How reliable was the source you got them from? I hope they are healthy and not carrying a latent CRD or external or internal parasites.
It was just another backyard coop, good point. I think I will keep them quarantined for a while until I can be sure they are healthy.

It was just another backyard coop, good point. I think I will keep them quarantined for a while until I can be sure they are healthy.
No point in worrying about medical quarantine now, if they're close enough that they're caged right next to each other, they're already exposed to whatever your flock might have and vice versa. So just worry about integration at this point.

If they are all adult birds, I would wait maybe 24 hours, and try again, late afternoon. I would throw a treat to the rooster, and he will call them in. They will be in love by morning. Often times, when you introduce strangers like that, they have a dust up or two, but it really does not last long.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom