lone rooster question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HSerChickLady, Mar 20, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    One of my roosters has had to be seperated due to his fighting and giving the hens too much attention. So he spent the winter in a dog crate in the barn and he's done fine out there, though you can tell he's getting bored now. We've ordered a small coop for him that will be arriving later this week. This will give him a nice living area and a small run to putter around in. But we were wondering if he'll continue to be happy living in his own home or would he be happier with a few lady friends? He will be able to see other chickens and my bird feeders sometimes when he gets into his new house (we plan to move it around our yard to keep him on fresh grass). He's some sort of a Silkie mix (definately not a show quality bird) so if we did get him friends they'd be bantie's of some sort as well. Not sure if bantie's have different needs than full size birds or not?

Also one of his reasons for being seperated to begin with was giving hens a bit too much attention. But at that time he was with 3 other roosters and may have been doing it out of competition. Do you think he'd be nicer with hens in his new house since he'd be the only rooster in there this time?

Thanks for the help! They really need to include rooster keeping in the books so people know what's going on. :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    He would defiantly be happier with some lady friends but he should be better behaved if he's the only roo.

3. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    He would probably like being with a few other hens, but if that is not possible, it would be great to locate his coop where he can see the other chickens.
    Good luck! [​IMG]

4. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Is it ok to introduce the ladies later this summer or this fall? I'd probably keep them seperatedy a fence for a few days before letting them all loose together in the same house.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If he is a year or more now, he should be settled down enough to be good to only one or two hens. It's ok to put the hen/s right in with him. It'll be fine. I don't agree about putting him where he can see the others. That will only serve to keep him stirred up. Guess he wouldn't be bored, but fighting through the wire could also be a problem............Pop

6. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    He'll be a year old next week. I agree about not putting him where he can see our other rooster. If i was going to put him where he could see other chickens it was going to be my pen of hens only. I don't know of anyplace locally where i can get female banties of any breed for him to have as companions. Perhaps i'll need to order 3 from My Pet Chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by