Lone Silkie, should i put her on the roost? --- SHE ROOSTED BY HERSELF

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Nov 21, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    My Silkie cross doesn't roost she would sleep in her little house with the other silkie, who died this morning. Im wondering will she be ok in her little house alone? (the little house is inside the coop) The rest of the chickens roost, should i try to put her on the roost tonight? Im concerned she will be cold without her buddy to snuggle with.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh how sad for your little silkie to have lost her friend. I'm sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

I have one silkie that roosts. He/she would roost with the rest of the flock if I put him up there, but it's a high roost and I'm afraid he'll get hurt jumping down so I don't.

I have a little hay filled box in my coop for my silkies, but they don't use it. If your roosts are not too high, I'd try putting your silkie with the others for warmth.

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    As sad as i am over Pepper, i was thrilled tonight to go into the coop to lock up and find that Blizzard (our silkie mix) was roosting with the rest of them!!! And not only roosting, she was on the top roost!!!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    go blizzard go

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps