lone silkie will get too cold?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by melloladies, Dec 6, 2010.

1. melloladies

melloladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Merritt Island
    okokok... I know that chickens can handle some super cold climates... I'm certainly not adding heat to my coop...
    but it will get down to 34degrees tonight in FL, and I'm not concerned about the majority of my girls. However- I have ONE silkie (i, know, what was I thinking!?!?!?!) and I know for a fact she sleeps alone on the floor of the coop. Will she get too cold tonight without other snugglers? Should I put in a blanket or something for her??? Or will she be okay? It's been 40's at night for the past few days and she's more than fine.
    HELP! I'm driving my husband crazy!!!

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    She will be fine as long as there are no drafts - her feathers will hold heated air against her body & she won't even notice the cold. If there is a draft though that changes.

You could always put a hoodie on her!

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. DelawareSilkie

DelawareSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Silkies are a cold temperate breed. Mine sleep on the floor as well, but i have a pair. I'm sure your lone silkie will be fine, especially in Florida. It's the intense sub-tropical heat that would be a greater factor for your silkie.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If it were me, I would put a milk jug with hot water in it down on the floor next to her. If she gets cold she can cuddle with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by