Lone survivor

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fun Farmer, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Fun Farmer

Fun Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    tampa
    So out of the 7 eggs I set a month ago, my lone survivor finally hatched and is lookin good. I have another bator set up and we set 24 eggs but only 6 appear to be viable.[​IMG]

2. Fun Farmer

Aug 25, 2014
    tampa
    This chick literally hatched as I was walking out the door for work. I had to leave her in the bator. How long can she stay in there? Do I need to make arrangements for someone to go over my house and pull her out?

3. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    You want to leave them in the incubator until they are fully dry (at least 12 hours, typically). She will be fine until you get home for sure. ;) They can go up to 3 days without food or water waiting for their remaining clutch-mates to hatch (they survive off of the yolk they have just absorbed into their abdomen). But since this little one is your only hatchling, you can take her out as soon as she's dry and fluffed so she can have access to food and water.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She needs to stay till dry and fluffed up and won't need to eat or drink for at least 24 hrs they live off absorbed yolk sac. So by the time you get home she will be ready for the brooder if fluffed and dry. Once you get her in the brooder set her up with a stuffed animal and a non breakable mirror this will keep her company, if at all possible maybe a friend from the feed store so she won't be lonely they really do better if there are more than just alone. Congrats!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  5. Fun Farmer

Aug 25, 2014
    tampa
    Thanks. That really eased my mind.

6. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Hopefully he/she will have at least 6 more buddies soon!

7. Fun Farmer

Aug 25, 2014
    tampa
    Yep. Six buddies in two more weeks

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Just my 2 cents but in 2 weeks your lil one that hatched now will be too big and to old to be with new hatchlings, so if you can get this one a buddy to grow up with till the ones hatching 2 weeks from now are big enough to put with them that to me would be the best course of action.

9. Fun Farmer

Aug 25, 2014
    tampa
    I checked all the local feed stores and havent found any ducklings for sale. Would a chick do the job?

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd just give your duckling a non breakable mirror and spend as much time as you can with it. Once the other ducklings hatch and have a couple weeks to get their legs under them you can start socializing all of them with supervision till they are use to ig bro or sis but having a chick in them ix well what happens to the chick once the ducks are a united flock TSC is already starting chick days in parts of the US and they usually have ducklings. Have one close to you you could call?

How's the baby doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by