1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lonely 5 week old New Hampshire Red

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by huevos ranchero, Mar 8, 2015.

1. huevos ranchero

huevos ranchero Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    I am new to backyard chickens and have 4 chickens(2 EE, 1 B.O., 1 Aust. ages 10-8 weeks old that I just purchased and plan to transfer them to our recently built coop. I also have a 5 week old NHR which isn't ready for the coop yet and is in the garage with a heating lamp. I had to separate him from the others in the garage because they were picking on her. Now I am worried if I transfer the others to the coop I will have a bigger problem when she is coup ready and I reintroduce her. What should I do?

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    put her in a small cage in the run so the other pullets get used to seeing her but can't pick at her. after a week put her on the roost with other pullets at night. get up early next morning and watch to see what happens.

3. huevos ranchero

huevos ranchero Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Arroyo Grande, CA
    Thanks for your quick reply and very logical. I still need to keep her under the heat lamp for another week and then I will put her in the run with her cage. Great idea!
    I need to keep the hens in their and coup and run for 2 weeks before I let them free range my property? At what age can I give them forage cakes and wheat grass?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by