Lonely baby chick.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by singingfrog, Feb 8, 2013.

1. singingfrog

singingfrog New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    Hi all - I have an 8 week old baby chick who has been living in the house for two weeks because of excessive cold. I took her and another chick away from her mI took from her mom because one was sick. The sick one died. This one is now so lost she wants to be under my arm all day (which is tough since I work). Do you think her mom will take her back? She has had no chicks for two weeks and has started laying eggs. Any suggestions for how to help this little chick? Thanks - she's really a great little chicken.

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Since mama is no longer broody she will not take her back. However, at 8 weeks you should be able to let her rome outside and slowly integrate her back into the flock. She is smaller than the others but is basically able to fend for her self. If your coop is large enough you can put her in a dog crate and thus allow her to know other chickens while they get to know her and then one night when you think they are ready you can put her on the roost and hope for the best!

3. singingfrog

singingfrog New Egg

Oct 1, 2012
    Thank you so much for responding! This is such a great community. I appreciate your advice. Do I need to worry about temps in the low 30s here? And does it matter that she is a bantam? I've grown pretty attached to this little chicken [​IMG]

4. CHICKEN CRAZY1

CHICKEN CRAZY1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You could put her in a box and then place a mirror beside her so she looks like she has a friend.

5. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I think she would be fine but since she has been indoors maybe put a heat lamp out and let her choose...then slowly wean her off over a week or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by