Lonely baby rooster

jacistringfello

Chirping
Sep 1, 2021
1023211339c_HDR~2.jpg

Meet Sven. My hen hatched 2 of her eggs and then gave up on the last 3, So I put them under a halogen light just in case. When Sven hatched. (The other 2 didn't make it) I put him out in the coop and the hen kept pecking at him trying to hurt him....so he became my lone ranger. Anyone have any advice what to do with him. He now acts afraid of the other chickens. He runs away when they come around. He'd rather hang out with the dogs. I'm afraid when he's bigger the other roosters will try to hurt him.

When he's 8 weeks or older, try to integrate him with a see and no touch setup. Keep him in that space till he's about 6 months old. By that time the flock will know he's part of the flock.

Having a single chick is a little difficult to manage cause he won't have others to teach him. He will rely on you till he's old enough to be independent.

I was in your situation this year by accident, so I made the best of it.
He was 5 months old when a bobcat got him.

I have a young rooster now 5 months, who was an only child, tho he was raised by his mom. But at 1 month, she weaned him, and ever since, he runs away from everyone in the flock. But I think this is how a flock raises a rooster, with tough love. He quickly learns to be respectful and will grow up to be a good flock leader some day.

When he's 8 weeks or older, try to integrate him with a see and no touch setup. Keep him in that space till he's about 6 months old. By that time the flock will know he's part of the flock.

Having a single chick is a little difficult to manage cause he won't have others to teach him. He will rely on you till he's old enough to be independent.

I was in your situation this year by accident, so I made the best of it.
He was 5 months old when a bobcat got him.
Thank you!!!

Anyone have any advice what to do with him. He now acts afraid of the other chickens. He runs away when they come around. He'd rather hang out with the dogs.
It's a shame the broody hen would not accept him. Sometime they do, sometimes not. Single chicks can be challenging, whether they are boy or girl. It looks like you got him through the immediate days after hatch and can now roam without regard to weather.

Chickens are social animals. It sounds like he may have imprinted on the dogs instead of the other chickens or you. If he can safely hang out with the dogs that's probably a good place for him.

Until a chick (boy or girl) reaches a certain level of maturity they are likely to get pecked if they invade the personal space of an adult. The broody hen is probably protecting those other chicks. It usually doesn't take long for the chicks to learn to stay away from the adults. If they have enough room to avoid the others they can often do fine roaming in the same enclosure or free ranging, but if they get trapped in a small space with the others it can get dangerous. So what your facilities look like and how you manage them comes into pay.

With my pullets that level of maturity usually changes about the time they start to lay. With cockerels that could start at a few months or take most of a year. Each one is different.

I'm afraid when he's bigger the other roosters will try to hurt him.
That is possible. Or he may try to hurt them and take over the flock.. My dominant flock roosters don't bother my young chicks. But when the cockerels get mature enough they may be seen as a threat. My dominant rooster usually doesn't bother a cockerel unless that cockerel starts messing with his girls, then he takes a lot of interest. How much room you have and the individual personalities of the individuals play a big part in how this works out. Sometimes it is not a big problem, sometimes cockerels or roosters can die. Even when it works out there can be some pretty violent skirmishes in sorting it out. But you use the plural or rooster which implies you have more than one. They worked it out so this cockerel has a chance.

Back
Top Bottom