Lonely Canadian Goose...

genert2269

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
I have one Canadian Goose at my place. It came to us orphaned with three siblings who did not make it. It can fly somewhat, but I have a feeling it is here to stay. My question is what do I need to provide it in terms of shelter for the winter, assuming it probably should not be cooped up with the chickens. I do have a shelter for the goats but I don't think it likes to go in with them. Also thinking it would be best to get another goose, any kind, so it has a friend. Thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Hi there,
Canada geese are pretty hardy, but I'm sure some sort of shelter from the wind/snow would be welcome. I would think something like an old dog house would work. Not sure about a friend though............what if the goose hates his new friend?? I assume you have a pond/lake for him to swim on, if so, I would probably wait until next year. It's possible he may find his own mate. Good luck,
thumbsup.gif

I am holding out hope that it will migrate but I have a feeling that it is here to stay. Which is fine, we have no problem taking care of it. I just want to make sure that if it does stay, we provide what it needs. There is a pair that flies back here every spring, perhaps it will hook up with them then. Thanks for the advice :)

I am holding out hope that it will migrate but I have a feeling that it is here to stay. Which is fine, we have no problem taking care of it. I just want to make sure that if it does stay, we provide what it needs. There is a pair that flies back here every spring, perhaps it will hook up with them then. Thanks for the advice :)

The goose needs to be kept in a secure building and if you can find another goose before the real cold sets in so you can intro slowly over several days or weeks depending on how it goes then I'm thinking your goose would be much happier with one of it's own. They really do like to have one of their own kind. Do you know if your goose is male or female? It doesn't have to be Canada either.

Weird, we had a lonely goose appear too, wanted to be friends with our ducks... but it disappeared. We had wished it had stayed. We havent had geese on our pond in a few years. One pair would return every year to nest, but they both are gone... so it was ironic to see one the week after we put ducks on the pond.

Thanks everyone, I am on the hunt for a friend. We are going to build him/her a shelter next week. Unfortunately I can't tell if it is a male or a female. Perhaps I should get a few instead of one. Wish me luck finding some!

Back
Top Bottom