Lonely chick.. Advice?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bellmare, Feb 28, 2014.

1. bellmare

bellmare Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    We ended up only hatching one of four eggs we started, and this precious girl is doing wonderful. She is, however, VERY lonely. So I had my husband swing by the feed store and grab two week old gold sex link chicks. At first this satisfied little Stormy, but whenever we leave her sight she peeps so loudly! The other two chicks generally ignore her, aren't mean to her but leave her out of the cuddling process. If I put my hand in there she tries to cuddle with my hand. Ideas to make her more comfortable? Or is this all I can do?

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    She'll eventually warm up to her two new friends, but in the meantime if you give her a stuffed animal to cuddle with or hang a feather duster for her to hide under that would help.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It sounds like she loves you so!

Do make sure she is warm enough too- temps recommended are 90-95 for first week of life (can be a bit warmer under heat lamp but they need to be able to move away from the heat) and decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered even on the head around 6 weeks of age.

They often chirp a lot when they are cold.

4. bellmare

bellmare Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    We have a wonderful set up brooder in my house that stays above 68 degrees. Under the heat lamp is in the perfect range of 90-95 according to the thermometer and the chicks seem plenty happy with it. It's a large brooder with plenty of space to move away from the lamp. I made sure she knows how to get food and water. She seems a little less needy today but when I walk past the brooder she will chirp loudly for a few minutes then settle down again. If I put my hand in there she follows it everywhere! I did put the stuffed animal in there, thanks for the suggestion.

5. lilwhitechick

lilwhitechick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    get another chick of the same breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by