Lonely chick

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PotterWatch, Oct 26, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We had one chick hatch tonight! It seems to be doing very well and I am glad the eggs are in cartons since this chick is all over the place and I'm sure would have turned over most of the other eggs by now if they were just on the floor. It is cheeping like mad and keeps trying to climb into the cartons. It needs a friend! I hope another egg starts hatching soon to keep it company...

2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Ok, so this chick keeps climbing up on the eggs still in the cartons. When it is up there, it is very close to the heating element. It has touched the heater with its head a couple times now [​IMG] . I am worried that one, it will get burned by the heating element; and two, that it will become overheated being so close to the heater. Is there anything I can/should do about it?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Oh, I hear ya there! I actually had 2 that did that, and had their little fuzz singed. I don't know, but it is probably not wise to open it up right now.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by