1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

lonely chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SUEHUMP, Apr 18, 2011.

1. SUEHUMP

SUEHUMP New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    yesterday i had 2 6 week old chicks my mums dog killed one and now Stanley who ok is making loud swarking noises and following me around, i am really upset with all this and i hate to see stanley so upset. I have booked 4 battary hens pick up on 21st may is that to long for stanley to be alone should i try and get 1 chick or hen now i just dont know what to do.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i would try to find him a friend or put a stuffed animals in his box

3. ms.cluckling

ms.cluckling Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree.
    my first chicken was very lonely, being alone from the moment he hatched out of his egg.
    so I gave him a stuffed animal (a kitten, about his size) and it kept him company. I also took a small box (from an alarm clock) and cut a square hole in the bottom, on the side and through the top. he slept in this little box (placed in the brooder) and everymorning hopped out through the hole in the top and ate breakfast next to his kitten. A few weeks later I bought 3 more chicks (each a day old) to be his friends. Despite the age difference, they got along quite well. 3 months later, he is a fine rooster (a white leghorn).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  4. SUEHUMP

SUEHUMP New Egg

Apr 18, 2011
    thanks for adivse i will try and get a young hen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by