1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lonely Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by brandihoward, Oct 16, 2011.

1. brandihoward

brandihoward New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    This is our first time hatching chickens and everything is so new. Out of our batch we had 3 remaining eggs, 1 hatched Saturday 2:17pm, no action from the other 2 eggs yet and not very confident on if they will. Now we 1 lonely chick. What should I do, my local feed store will not have anymore chicks until April.

Is it true that chicks can from loneliness?[​IMG]

2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Where do you live? Ask around on here on your state thread and see if anyone has a couple of chicks. If you are in SE Minnesota, I have some new Silkies and a couple have some missing toes for being Silkies. I would sell you a couple [​IMG]

3. brandihoward

brandihoward New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    Thank you! I'm in California. I'm also new to the site so I will look for my state thread and ask around. Thanks again for helping create a path of assistance and chick survival!!

4. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    Check to see in any online hatcheries have any left. I had the same thing happen to me and i ended up with 16 chickens. He's not so lonely anymore!!!!

5. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    Where are you in CA? If in SoCal, I might be able to point you in the right direction. In the meantime, put a small plush stuffed animal in with the chick. It can help...

6. brandihoward

brandihoward New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    Thank you! I was trying to see if I can get some tomorrow, but if not I will order from a hatchery.

I am in northern Ca, but thank you for the information on the stuffed animal I will grab one right away!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    also put a mirror in so the chick thinks there is another one. They also like to cuddle under a feather duster.

8. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    Here is Ideal www.ideal-poultry.com/

and mypetchicken.com

Good luck to you things will be ok you have a huge support group here at the BYC. I am a new egg myself really and learning more day at a time. so ... [​IMG]

9. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Quote:Where in nor cal? Alamo hay and grain pretty much always has chicks. It's in east bay.

10. brandihoward

brandihoward New Egg

Oct 15, 2011
    I'm close to Hayward, but will travel. I will check out Alamo Hay~THANK YOU!

@Drumstick Diva- thanks I will put the mirror in now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by