1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lonely chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lzufelt, Feb 17, 2015.

1. lzufelt

lzufelt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I have a baby chick that was born very weak so it has been separated from the rest of the flock. It is in the same brooder so they can hear each other but my baby Jude is in a shoe box. He chirps so loudly and I am almost positive he is lonely.

WHAT CAN I DO?!? I sit in there and I sing to them (haha [​IMG]) and it doesn't seem to help.

When I was cleaning the brooder I put Jude in the brooder and one by one introduced a new chick until all 14 were in there together. It went really well but I don't think I trust them to be together unsupervised.

Any suggestions on what to do would be so helpful!

Thank you to all that have any recommendations! :)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

You should consider putting one or 3 or 4 chicks with your lonely one, and then when they are used to each other, put the whole flock together. That way he has some friends - the longer you put off putting him with the others, the worse it will go for him.

However, if he is being bullied/damaged by the others that is a different story.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  3. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for getting back to me! I completely agree! He wasn't exactly being picked on he was being picked at on occasion. He still has some of his shell stick to him. He was helped out of his egg and was very week. The incubator ended up doing more harm than good so I decided to put him in the brooder a few hours earlier than I did the others. He is much stronger but his down has only grown on on his tummy. It sort of looks like he is still wet but he is not.

Last night I took a warm face cloths and was able to remove a lot of the shell/membrane but there is still some left.

I just added one other chick to the box, he has stopped chirping. If he starts to be picked on what do you suggest?

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I think two will be OK - hopefully the new chick in with him will treat him well.

Don't allow other chicks to hurt him, but there is sometimes a little peck here and there that is OK. As long as it is not a repetitive thing where they decide to keep pecking him.

But for example if they try to peck the vent, you can put a little bit of Rooster Booster pick no more lotion on that spot and it tastes bad to them- works great for chicks. When I wash bottoms off for pasty butt for example, I put the no pick lotion on because the area is reddened from being washed and can be a pecking target.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The weak little guy will catch up before you know it.

The important thing to understand about chicks is they need each other or they won't thrive. That means they won't eat, and will be sad and lonely and will lose the will to live. So try to keep him with the others.

You fail to tell us how old the chicks are, but I assume they are around a day or two old, right? At that extremely young age, they are mostly very accepting of each other in spite of any differences. It's worth the risk to keep the weak chick with all of the others because there's a much greater chance he'll survive if you do.

If the chicks are older than a week old, then they may begin to take differences into account and are more likely to pick on the different one. But, it's still worth the risk of trying to keep him with the others so he will survive.

But keep an eye on him.

1 person likes this.
  6. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Do you think it would be alright if I weened him in? He was with them for almost three hours this evening and tomorrow I am home so i can supervise for the majority of the day.

And we you are rigt to assume their age. The eldest was born on Valentine's day and Jude was my late hatch yeaterday morning. They really aren't to bad with him, no different than any of the others, the only thing is that he is much smaller and his left toes have not formed properly (not as wide spread as its supposed to be) so he has a hard time holding his ground.

Again the feedback is so helpful and greatly appreciated!

7. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Chickens are sweet- do you think I could put the pick no more on his body? Jude loves to snuggle up to them and get under their wings (like he would with a mama bird) and if they are tired they will allow it but when they want to play they pick at him and the shell that is attached to him. [​IMG]

Here are two pictures of Jude. The first is him all snuggled up with another chick and the second is of him by himself. Hopefully you can see the size different and just how fragile he is

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, do whatever you need to do to keep him with the others! You need to start getting nourishment into him so he gets stronger.

Try moistening some chick starter with warm water. I would get some chicks vitamins, too. I like Poultry Nutri-drench. Squirt some on top the moistened chick food and let them all eat it together. He will eat better if he's with the others and sees them eating.

As for the bits if shell stuck to him, I would make sure it's not partially absorbed egg yolk and just snip the bits and pieces off with cuticle scissors.

Now is the time to correct his foot by taping it in the correct position. You can use a bandaid. Do a search to get some pics of how others have done this.

9. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    UPDATE: one week from the beginning of my first hatch and everyone is doing amazing!

My little Jude (#15) has grown his down. He didn't have any fluffy down in the first 24 hours, as the other eggs did. And slowly each day he grew more and more. First on his belly then down to his legs and then for a few days only on the left side (opposite side of his problems) but now, as of yesterday he has all his fluff (except a little bit on the top of his head but I have faith that too will come!!! He has corrected his own toe problem. I did try to use the "webbed foot" technique as recommended but due to his size it was just to hard with two adult hands. We left it for another day (3 days since hatch) and his toe has separated itself. The stuck on membrane and she'll eventually also fell off (I did cut as much as possible away using first aid scissors but the last little hunk fell off) and now I am just waiting on his wing development. Jude is very obviously the smallest of the flock and does appear very under developed. While the others are getting feathers he has just grown his fluffy down. I don't often see Juse stretch like the others which makes me believe he isn't there yet so I will keep my eyes open and hopefully his wing will grow with his body and he will be able to use it. Also, (sorry proud mama hen here) Jude was not laying down to sleep he always just stood which led me to believe he was putting a lot of pressure on his legs but 2 days ago I saw that he had learned to snuggle up like the others and sleep on the ground to keep warm.

The other babes have been really good to him. Although at first I did worry about him being picked on due to his size and lack of development I truly believe that it was the others that have helped him succeed. They treat him like all the others and while sometimes that made me nervous it also makes me feel better because they do not see him as week, fragile or different, they see him as one of their own that when push comes to shove little Jude belongs and despite his size he gets the EXACT same treatment as the others!

Once again, thank you for all of your help and encouragement!!

10. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    [​IMG]

^ you can see Jude all snuggled in there right in the middle of the others! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by