Lonely chicken hearts

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Vickibird505, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Vickibird505

Vickibird505 New Egg

Oct 29, 2016
    I am a novice at the whole backyard urban chicken movement and recently decided to give it a go. I had a friend of mine who has a farm purchase three chicks for me from a feed store in June. I asked for and assumed I was getting all hens only to find out it doesn’t work that way. I ended up with two roosters and one hen, unfortunately it took me forever to figure out which were roosters and which was the hen. I am very attached to all three chickens. All three sleep in the same coup and so far, they are all still buddies. I am now being forced to get rid of both roosters due to neighbor complaints. The hen seems to be partial to the one rooster. Q: I don’t want to split this trio up; but no one wants all three; in fact no one wants both roosters. Wondering if roosters or hens can become attached to one another and suffer from a broken heart or become depressed if split up? It’s breaking my heart! Any feedback would be appreciated

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    I would hesitate to make direct analogies between human and chicken emotions. That said, your hen will certainly not be happy being alone - they are flock birds, and thrive in such an environment. Getting point of lay pullets or even a couple of older hens will be better for her welfare.

1 person likes this.
  3. shortgrass

shortgrass Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2015
    Northern Colorado
    Well, they can become attached to each other when they bond as chicks. They're broodmates, kinda like brothers and sister. They will mope for a day or so but they get over it pretty quick.

I agree, they don't have "emotions" per se. They just notice their buddy is gone and might get bored easier, so its best to keep them in groups. They're social and do like to "flock" together, but I also have hens that are total loners.

I would suggest getting a few more chicks and when they're old enough, giving her some company. She'd become the top hen, most likely, and by then she won't even remember her rooster "brothers" ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by