Lonely chicken will she freeze to death this winter?

chickenmomma2

Chirping
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Hi. I have a disabled chicken who was born with a deformed neck. she was born with 5 other chickens but as she got older but all the other chicken started really picking on her bad. I had brought her into the house and she lived in the house for about 3 months. about a month ago I build her own little run and put a little coop in there and that's where she lives now.

My question is since she has no one to snuggle with when she is in her coop is she going to be okay to make it through the winter I'll live in Virginia and our winters are pretty moderate but we get some pretty cold days.

I have put plenty of shavings in there I'm just very concerned because her coop will get hit with the north and west winds.

I would put her with the other chickens in a crate in their coop or run, and let them see each other. Later on, I would let her out with them while I was around. They will peck her at first, but she may be okay. Then if I had to keep[ her in a large crate with them I would rather do that than keep a chicken all alone in the house. If you put her out now, she will become acclimated to the weather as it gets colder. Sometimes putting another chicken in with her (the meekest one) might allow her to make a friend.

Thank you. They have been coming around her run and visiting. I've even had a couple of roos fly up over the fence and visit her. She is standing up straighter. She is unable to fly up, even onto a roost 12" above the floor. I will try your suggestion. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom