Lonely Chicken...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by h3nG, Aug 16, 2013.

1. h3nG

h3nG New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    An animal killed one of the two chickens I had over night. Both were approximately 12 weeks and have been growing up together since hatching. They were really attached to one another.

Now that he/she is alone, it won't stop making noise. Obviously from anxiety. At this point I don't know what to do...I feel really bad since I had not secure the fence before going to bed.

Need some advice one what to do:
    - Get a baby chick and raise them together after a few weeks of age
    - Get a hen around the same age 10-12 weeks and let them live together
    - Wait until I am sure he's not a Rooster cause I won't be able to keep him anyways due to local laws

Suggestions? How long will it be before this chick accepts a new companion? Should I be concerned? Will it eventually learn to live solo or continue to cry all day?

[​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens can sometimes die of loneliness so you should get 2 more chicks ( make sure that they are girls, some feed stores sell sexed chicks). I would get a baby chick and raise them until they are about the same age and then put them together, but you could also get 2 hens around the same age as your chicken ( you'll have to separate them first to see if the new chickens carry any diseases). You should get 2 female chicks in case your lonely chicken ends up being a rooster and is sent away because then the whole cycle will start again. :)

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Get a couple the same age. If you post a picture, I can tell you if you have a rooster or not.

Chickens are social animals and will not do well alone. She needs friends.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Post a picture so we can see if you got a rooster or hen, at 12wks you would know. I agree getting at least 2 more close to the age of what you have is the best idea. Introduce them slowly & supervise, put them in the same space but separated & able to see each other. Good luck and post a picture

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You lonely chicken might do better with a stuffed toy to cuddle with. This works well with young chicks but, I think it might work for yours also . She still needs a live buddy but, this may quiet her down for now.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    A toy as mentioned will help, but a mirror is also a welcomed sight to a chicken. They love looking at themselves.

7. h3nG

h3nG New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I was out for the past few days. But after seeing him last night it's a definite roo.

I posted an ad on Craigslist last night and got a few responses. They are in the same county so I am not sure how they are going to be raising this rooster. But I think it'll be a better place since a few of the responses are from people with multiple chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by